Sign in to follow this  
malcolm300

c4 trans help

Hi after a bit of advice, I put my newly built prop shaft on today and went to try out my c4 trans for the first time (car on stands) it shifted into drive then 2 then 1st all of them moving the wheels but when I shifted into reverse nothing I tuned the car off and tried again but nothing in any gears.

Also the modulater is not connected and the oil cooler lines are not connected. But there was no fuild coming out of them at all. Could the trans just be low on fuild?? Or do I need everything connected for it to buold pressure?? Its just strange how it shifterd first time now nothing??

Also im pretty sure the tourqe converter is seated correctly as I checked it twice and there was no strange noises when it was run up.

any help appreciated

Hi after a bit of advice, I put my newly built prop shaft on today and went to try out my c4 trans for the first time (car on stands) it shifted into drive then 2 then 1st all of them moving the wheels but when I shifted into reverse nothing I tuned the car off and tried again but nothing in any gears.

Also the modulater is not connected and the oil cooler lines are not connected. But there was no fuild coming out of them at all. Could the trans just be low on fuild?? Or do I need everything connected for it to buold pressure?? Its just strange how it shifterd first time now nothing??

Also im pretty sure the tourqe converter is seated correctly as I checked it twice and there was no strange noises when it was run up.

any help appreciated

Need cooler lines connected for sure and modulator needs to have vacuum line connected for transmission to operate correctly. How much fluid have you put in the transmission? Surprises me some fluid didn't run out the cooler lines unless they were plugged. What may have happened is if it was completely dry and you just filled the transmission to full mark it could have pumped oil into the converter and you need to add more fluid.

dave

cheers for the reply dave,

i have now dropped the pan and valve body to check it out and all seems ok so put everything back together and filled up with about 5ltrs of fluid, (didnt drain the tourque converter) so whatever was in there aswell.

the posistion im in now is car on stands, start the car and the wheels seem to spin slowly in every grear, also with a bit of throttle they spin faster but can be stopped with my foot. also there is still no fuild coming through the oil cooler lines. and the dipstick seems to read really high ( about half way up) although i know i havent put much in.

do the car need to be ran for a while to get it to temp ect to start the flow as im only running for a few minuets at a time???

any help would be great as im new to auto boxes,

cheers for the reply dave,

i have now dropped the pan and valve body to check it out and all seems ok so put everything back together and filled up with about 5ltrs of fluid, (didnt drain the tourque converter) so whatever was in there aswell.

the posistion im in now is car on stands, start the car and the wheels seem to spin slowly in every grear, also with a bit of throttle they spin faster but can be stopped with my foot. also there is still no fuild coming through the oil cooler lines. and the dipstick seems to read really high ( about half way up) although i know i havent put much in.

do the car need to be ran for a while to get it to temp ect to start the flow as im only running for a few minuets at a time???

any help would be great as im new to auto boxes,

If you have fluid in the transmission and it is not coming out the cooler lines when running the engine then my guess is the pump is not working for some reason. If it is a fresh built transmission with new pump then it could be that the torque converter is not engaged with the pump.

right iv been looking all day and i think i know where the problem is,

when i installed the trans to the block the tourqe converter studs did not go through the flexy holes they were too far away so i had to pull it forwad throgh the holes and tigten the nuts this would be the cause of it not engaging the pump as i have just read the studs should pass through the flex plate when butting up the trans.

so dose this mean i have the wrong bell housing, torque converter, or flexy plate. can you get torque converters with longer necks to close the gap??

Thanks for all the help everyone. I have found my problem turns out I have a c5 bellhousing on a c4 box with a 164 tooth flex plate and c4 tourqe converter. Because the c5 bell is deeper to accomdate the lock up gear in the bigger c5 tc, it was pulling the my tc right out of the pump when bolted up.

so off to find some new bits!