Sign in to follow this  
69NC

Need brake booster Coyote help

I'm looking for what others have done to solve the problem of fitting a brake booster in a 69 mustang with a Coyote motor. Anyone here have recommendations, or personal experience. Any sagely advice?

From my reading I have seen 3 solutions, but there is little detail about now they actually work.

The most expensive solution ~ $1000 is the ABS electric/hydraulic. I saw this on the MTF car on this site.

the other solutions are lower cost, depending on if you buy them or get the parts

take a Hydroboost system from Mustang circa 2005. This is the one I have the least amount of information on.

http://image.hotrod.com/f/feature_stories/hrdp_1307_ford_coyote_engine_swap_guide_part_2/46493726/hdp-1307-31%2Bford-coyote-engine-swap-guide-part-2%2Bbrake-booster.jpg

And finally

Several folks have claimed success using late 80's power booster from a Fox body Mustang 4 cyl.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/619453-longshot-modmotor-power-brakes-possible.html

This is one I have not seen anybody use, but it looks interesting

The tuffstuff 2225N boster for 69-70 mustangs. it's only about 3.75" thick and 9" around. And I think is the booster used on the Boss 429 mustangs

http://www.tuffstuffperformance.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=198/mode=cat/cat198.htm

Anyone with experience on these? I'm looking for install thoughts, but also how well they work.

Thanks

Rod.

I have the tuff stuff booster on my 69 and it works great.

It is very compact and I was thinking that it could be small enough to help the coyote swap

When I get a chance I can take some pictures of how it fits to the firewall.

I was also thinking that you may be able to move it back deeper into the firewall with a little welding and fab

Bob

I have a hydroboost from a 2004 Mach 1 in my 69' with a DOHC 4.6, I can't imagine it wouldn't fit with the coyote motor in there as well. I had to build a custom plate to mount it, but over all not very difficult. It barely fits, but it does fit!

Bob,

pictures would be great. What motor are you currently running?

I have the tuff stuff booster on my 69 and it works great.

It is very compact and I was thinking that it could be small enough to help the coyote swap

When I get a chance I can take some pictures of how it fits to the firewall.

I was also thinking that you may be able to move it back deeper into the firewall with a little welding and fab

Bob

Gatlin69,

could you take pictures of your set up fro me?

I have a hydroboost from a 2004 Mach 1 in my 69' with a DOHC 4.6, I can't imagine it wouldn't fit with the coyote motor in there as well. I had to build a custom plate to mount it, but over all not very difficult. It barely fits, but it does fit!

I checked and did not see it on your web site. is this an adapter, or a booster for a manual master cylinder?

We now make a small billet one for manual brakes, cost is 350.00.

Gatlin69,

could you take pictures of your set up fro me?

It's extremely difficult to get a good picture of it while it's installed in the car, but here's what it looks like -

409921588.jpg

409921581.jpg

409921590.jpg

Basically what I did was take the mounting plate off the booster, and cut out the angled section. I took some 3/16" plate and made a template of the pedal bracket, and cut the plate into that shape. I then cut out the center of the new plate, and welded in the salvaged angle plate from the OEM bracket and modified it to give a little more angle. I had to cut the hole a little larger to get the body and pushrod through the firewall though. I just did this on Saturday so it's not 100% complete, but it clears everywhere it needs to.

The Tuffstff Mc looks like what I am using. Be aware the pushrod is meant to fit a 69, not a 70. The hole for the pin is offset, where as the '70 should be inline.

I replaced the spacer on the back with a machined piece that raises the MC. This lines up the pushrod hole with the pin on the pedal and gives some more engine clearance.

I went with the Hydroboost set up. I ordered a 2004 Cobra booster, and modified the backing plate to get eh right angle. I also found a nice diagram on the Factory five forum that listed a the AN fittings you need.