Sign in to follow this  
70fastbak

Cowl/painting

Im finally nearing completion of my metal work (5 months of evenings and weekends), let me say major metal work.

Today I figured ive put too much time into this car to not split my new cowl.

I decided to bust open the spot welds and im really glad I did.

There is so much bare metal in there it was crazy.

Some spots even had surface rust on them.

what do you think would be a good paint to paint the inside with ...bearing in mind I still have to weld the top back on.

Just completed the entire cowl install on my project. I split my replacement cowl from the beginning, due to the mods I wanted to do, and to seal up the inside as much as possible. I used epoxy based primer on everything, and a single stage urethane paint to hopefully ward off the rust demons. As I was getting things in place to weld I marked the areas for the rosette (spot) welds, and removed the paint in those areas with a small wire brush in my cordless drill. Worked ok, as long as I moved around a bunch. If you want, you can see what I'm talking about on my progress thread. Just a little more detail.

Your build is looking quite nice. Don't feel bad, I've been playing with the metal portion for over two years, and am still not done. Gota love rusted old cars.

That's kind of what I was thinking.

Maybe on the outside edge (plug weld areas) switch over to a weld thru primer and keep the epoxy/paint away from the edge.

Tomorrows project.

Ill throw up some pics on the progress page.

Thanks for the compliment, I will find your build thread.

I have to add that anybody doing a cowl replacement should spilt it and put something in there.

Also spiltting it allows you to weld the lower section to the top flange on the vent kick panels.

Edited by 70fastbak

Here are a couple of pics. This is the top part of the cowl, along with the sides

IMG_20140705_113334_zpslb1xovfz.jpg

The lower portion in the car, all welded and ground smooth. Once all together, very little of this is seen, but it should help, hopefully.

IMG_20140705_112619_zpslq28ocbx.jpg

My original cowl was in good shape so I didn't split it open. I did however put new seam seal on the heater box inlet (inside the cowl) and sprayed Eastwood rust encapsulator (in aerosol can) with the flexible extension used to coat the inside of frame rails. This got into all the nooks and crannies that the cowl possesses. The end of the flexible extension has great coverage and sprays 180* like a puff of smoke.

My original cowl was in good shape so I didn't split it open. I did however put new seam seal on the heater box inlet (inside the cowl) and sprayed Eastwood rust encapsulator (in aerosol can) with the flexible extension used to coat the inside of frame rails. This got into all the nooks and crannies that the cowl possesses. The end of the flexible extension has great coverage and sprays 180* like a puff of smoke.

I was looking at those spray cans with the extensions.

I might get a couple to do inside some areas.