Sign in to follow this  
Jetwrencher

1969 mach aftermarket cruise control install

I have a Rostra cruise control on my '70 fastback, it has a 427 windsor, TKO 500 and 750 QFT carb. I am using an elect. speedometer (AutoMeter) and I pull the speed sensor for the cruise control right off the back of the speedometer. I don't know if other electric speedometers have this capability. I installed a shut off switch on the clutch pedal when I had the whole thing out to install the ball bearing on the pivot shaft. I use it all the time I am on the freeway.

I used the Ford factory system from a later 1970's model Ford. It uses the sensor in the speedometer cable, and has the factory brain box and servo unit. It works quite well. I think I even have extra parts I could part with, if you are interested in it. I could supply pictures and tell you how to do it.

I even have the controls for it in the steering wheel. Do a search of danno, and you will see my post from April 14 of 2011. It has a picture of my steering wheel. I will try to attach the image. The controls on it actually work with the existing horn ring and wires. The wheel came out of a 1980s era Ford truck, it works perfect in a Mustang.

So if you are interested in a project, rather than just buying a kit and installing it, this could work for you.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8674&d=1302804036

That is one of the most awesome upgrades I've ever seen... love it, it even looks factory. If you could somehow put the Mustang in the center from the 69 standard steering wheel then it would make a lot of people do a double take.

david

Yes, I have thought about putting a Mustang emblem in the wheel, might try it some day. My car originally had a rim blow wheel, and I wanted a smaller diameter wheel with a softer leather-like feel. This fit the bill for that. Then I found one with cruise, and started working on that. I can post some more pictures of it. I found the servo unit ( that contols the accelerator linkage) with a bracket that fit perfect in my 302. There are bolt holes on my intake manifold that I have no idea what they were for. But it just happens that is exactly where a later model cruise module mounts.

Keep in mind, this is a project. It is not a kit where you buy it and bolt it on. You will need to figure some things out, but I know it can be done.

I will get some pictures.

The red light at the top is for fuel level low, and the red light at the bottom is for high temperature. They flash as a warning that the gauge is showing a problem. This is just an added feature I was playing with and installed.

Kool set up. Putting it all together like that. Great job and idea. Very useful in this day and age. Nothing like cruise control for a trip.

Edited by klevor
forgot the rest of it.