Sign in to follow this  
Glenn83

Cobra brake conversion

I'm thinking about using the mustang steve cobra brake conversion brackets. Very interested to here from people who have done the conversion what there opinions are of this setup?? Also being from Australia can anyone recommend somewhere to order all the components from??

Glenn

I used the GT brake conversion from Mustang Steve. Installed it this past winter. Install was pretty simple. I bought 2007 gt take off callipers from eBay. As a side note. The calipers on the gt and v6 are the same, but the bracket s are not. I got a slotted rotor and pad package from eBay. I went with 2004 Bullitt wheels with a back spacing of 5.97. In doing so, I had to add a 1 inch spacer.

Parts from Steve were top notch.

didn't got with mustang steve but i have vintage venoms kit, awesome install.

The VV kit look really good also, the only question I have with them. is do you have to run the spacers?? I would like to run some nice billet 18x8 wheels up front just not sure how the offset and back spacing would be affected

I used part ACDelco 18J4253 and ACDelco 18J4252(left and right). Ordered from Amazon $18 each. These are more or less Oem replacements. My takeoffs came from a salvage yard. So they just clipped the lines.

Edited by 1969Fstback

The VV kit look really good also, the only question I have with them. is do you have to run the spacers?? I would like to run some nice billet 18x8 wheels up front just not sure how the offset and back spacing would be affected

the answer is yes, but it goes between the rotor hat and hub.

Thanks for the replies , very helpful, with the brake hoses did you you guys use something similar to this ?? http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-DOT-Stainless-Braided-Front-Brake-Hose-Kit-pr-23558.html

Check the legality in Australia for any braided lines you buy as some states (QLD in particular) here require ADR approved braided lines. It might be easier to get a set made up here. It should be about around $60 each.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-MUSTANG-BIG-BRAKES-GT-SHELBY-64-TO-69-DRUM-FRONT-TO-DISC-KIT-XM-XP-FALCON-/311006969006?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item486975bcae&_uhb=1

This kit is available here in Oz, basically a BA-BF Falcon set up. I haven't used it myself but have heard good things about the kit from people who have used it. Might be easier to source replacement discs etc. They used to list a similar kit with 322mm discs which are Territory rotors and callipers.

Shaun.

Territory and Falcon use the same hubs and calipers, the caliper bracket is different. In fact, the terrtory brakes were the factory big brake option for BF. Maybe give them a call and see if they'll do a territory kit for you.

Territory and Falcon use the same hubs and calipers, the caliper bracket is different. In fact, the terrtory brakes were the factory big brake option for BF. Maybe give them a call and see if they'll do a territory kit for you.

I emailed them last night to see if they can do exactly that.