Sign in to follow this  
Zipppo

1970 M Code non Mach 1 Shaker car

Question. I have located a 1969 Mustang Tach dash set up standard interior ( black camera case housing. If I swap the gauges over to my 70 housing are they the same? I know the housings are but the gauges are they identical between 69 and 70? I will need to get the tach harness. I also will do the Shelby console gauge swap so I have the requisite correct set in the dash.

Thanks!

The Woodgrain dash gauges have the blue-ish tinting and the standard gauges are all black so you will have a mis-match with your Clock (if your car has the optional for '70 clock).

I'm 99% sure the 69-70 gauges are interchangeable between clusters.

I think the standard interior Tach Cluster is more RARE than the deluxe, so you might be able to find someone interested in a trade so you have the correct deluxe gauges for your 70 Mach 1.

Doug

Ok I have sourced the tach dash. Next is I have heard that to adapt the wiring for the tach can be done without having to swap the harness out. Has anyone here done this and what are the steps in doing so.

Also what changes need to be made for the oil pressure and amp gauges? I have a pod and two gauges that will go in the forward area of the console that I got from Tony Branda to complete the conversion.

Any photos and step by step how to's would be greatly appreciated.

Heres a pretty good how-to on re-pinning the standard plug for tach dash. Also, you can add resistance wire (or a resistor) to retain the ALT light function. Midlife did my conversion but I had to go in and replace the resistance wire with a 1/2watt resistor for 3G alternator. Works great.

http://1970mgr.org/_AddTachCluster.htm

Thank you much appreciated. I think I will be able to do this. I will send my newly acquired cluster out to the Tachman to have it restored and then install.

On a side note what are the wheel and tired specs on your 70 Mustang they look nice! I would like to get the same setup for my car.

No mini tub, all stock besides some light malletizing in the lower forward corner of the wheel well. I would have to dig up my paperwork but I believe the rears were 6.75" offset (custom) and the fronts were an off-the-shelf offset for American Racing.

Hey zippo,

My wheels are not the same as mtylers but he was one of the guys on here that kinda persuaded me (just by looking at is car and how it sat) to go with 315's on my car also.

Im running 2004 deep dish mach 1 rims on mine and I also did not mini tub just a little modifying of the forward edge of the inner wheelwheels was all it took.

The specs on my rears are 10.5" rim, 6.9 backspacing with 27mm offset, running a 1" spacer.

I found the invoice from 2011 and it looks like they were 17x11 Torque Thurs II's with 6.75" BS on the rears. No spacers needed. Am running the SSBC rear disk kit that didn't affect trac width.

On a side note...I remember now ordering them and when I received them the vendor had got the BS backwards. I should have taken pics....those were some DEEP dish wheels with only 4.25" BS. There were promptly exchanged

I think there are several threads on here including mine discussing the observations I made during the fitment process. Buenig and a few others have done this as well but and I think were using modern wheel fitment. Most of us went wit the Sumitomo HTRZ summer performance tire.

I ordered my rears custom but the fronts were a stock size 17x8 width and were 4.75BS. My fronts are 245-45/17. Adult driven, no rubbing and no spacers.

Hope this helps

I found the invoice from 2011 and it looks like they were 17x11 Torque Thurs II's with 6.75" BS on the rears. No spacers needed. Am running the SSBC rear disk kit that didn't affect trac width.

On a side note...I remember now ordering them and when I received them the vendor had got the BS backwards. I should have taken pics....those were some DEEP dish wheels with only 4.25" BS. There were promptly exchanged

I think there are several threads on here including mine discussing the observations I made during the fitment process. Buenig and a few others have done this as well but and I think were using modern wheel fitment. Most of us went wit the Sumitomo HTRZ summer performance tire.

I ordered my rears custom but the fronts were a stock size 17x8 width and were 4.75BS. My fronts are 245-45/17. Adult driven, no rubbing and no spacers.

Hope this helps

Very helpful. I will order up a set on Monday these are going to be perfect. I really appreciate it. Have you any pictures of your car from different angles showing off the wheel and tires fitment.?

Thank you for your help.

I would advise you to measure yours before ordering. Chances are that 6.75" will work for you but you should get a square and straight edge to be sure. I do run pretty close clearance on the springs; maybe 1/4 or 5/16" and I did roll my rear fender lips.

This isn't a problem for street cruising but if you like taking corners fast this could present issues. For me, I like the look. I have a purple 72 Cuda with the same fat look. In fact, I am running 275's on the front of it. Will try to get some more pics of the Mach 1.

cuda8.jpg

Beautiful. Very nice stance and the wheels and tires really fit nicely. I love the garage space you have looks like a 4 car detached and two in the house.

Thanks for sharing. Any interior shots of this fine car?