Sign in to follow this  
RPM

Ignition Switch Cylinder Removal W/O Key-NOT SPAM!!!

I'm not able to use the search function on my tablet. My memory (or lack thereof) thinks there was a thread on topic. I thought the 69 era key I've had for years was the one for my car, apparently not. I'd rather not take the entire lower dash to the locksmith to have a key made. Any help is appreciated.

Bob

DOH! I suppose it was way to easy for me to see that angle. And my door locks are still removed from the door. One of the things I try to teach my kids when troubleshooting, is to start with the most simple fix. I believe I'll delete this thread to hide my embarrassment.

Thanks.

Bob

DOH! I suppose it was way to easy for me to see that angle. And my door locks are still removed from the door. One of the things I try to teach my kids when troubleshooting, is to start with the most simple fix. I believe I'll delete this thread to hide my embarrassment.

Thanks.

Bob

Don't worry about it. I still wonder around the house looking for my reading glasses and have my wife tell me there on top of my head. But my worst was looking for my car keys the other day and after 5 minutes realizing they were in my other hand. :sad:

Another way to do it, since everything is kind of apart, is just buy a keyed replacement set from a Mustang vendor. My car was mix n match when I bought it, so I just bought a set during the restore and now my key matches up again.

Another way to do it, since everything is kind of apart, is just buy a keyed replacement set from a Mustang vendor. My car was mix n match when I bought it, so I just bought a set during the restore and now my key matches up again.

Probably cheaper than a locksmith too. (LOL)

Don't worry about it. I still wonder around the house looking for my reading glasses and have my wife tell me there on top of my head. But my worst was looking for my car keys the other day and after 5 minutes realizing they were in my other hand. :sad:

Thanks for the tips guys. Welcome to my world 70Mach03! I've got a locksmith buddy for whom I used to work who does me right on prices.

Bob

You can rekey the doors and ingition and trunk locks yourself..real easy to do...just be carefull of the pins. I had problems with locks when parts are from all kinds of donor cars...had one car with 4 keys...moved the pins around and down to 2 keys...a locksmith can do it too...

Yah 1969vert I'm with you, I've watched my dad and my old employer do it many times. Me and tedious work don't get along too well. As Harry Callahan one said, "a man's got to know his limitations".

Bob

I re keyed a 70...took me about a hour....just picked the best key and reset all the tumblers..im thinking about useing a late model trunk latch and just having one key...on the next project..got a box of old keys and tumblers laying around...