Sign in to follow this  
Raven R code

Installing Door Skins

Did anyone have problems with doors being "out of shape" after installing door skins? I was thinking of gluing the door skins along the entire seam area instead of spot welding them. Then I was going to take a flat 3/8" punch and dimple the seam to replicate the spot weld look. But someone mentioned that they glued their chevelle door skins and ran into problems with the door alignment and because they skins were glued, they couldn't tweak the doors easily. Now another autobody guy says that is how he does all his door skins and never has problems.

I had a body guy help me with my skins we did last month and we glued them. The only welds we did were up near the top of each corner. We fit the driver's sit and it looked good. I haven't put the passenger side door on yet. He said they glue their doors at his shop.

If you have as pot welder you can spot weld then like the factory did by using a larger (say 1" x 1" ) copper pad under the tong on the door skin side so that it dosent digit the skin

Bob