351w with shaker, what carb can I run?

I picked up a nice grabber orange

70 sportroof, it has a 69 351w and a top loader

In it. The 351 has the stock 4v intake and autolite

Carb, can I run a different carb or will it make the

Shaker too tall?

Do they make any aftermarket air cleaners for shaker

Set up?

What is a 351w full shaker set up worth?

Carb, air cleaner, shaker and all hardwere.

Most aftermarket carbs will work and most the injection units will as well

If you wanted an aftermarket intake then get a basic performer that is stock height or often you can use the higher intakes and eliminate the carb spacer as most the aftermarket carbs have the provision for the PCV hose direct to the carb.

If there is a problem you can take a basic stock air cleaner base and modify it to work to be a shaker base

Bob

Edited by Rsanter

Do you currently have a shaker set up or are you looking to put one on your car?

Shaker bases were designed for stock Autolite carbs, so most common aftermarket carburetors like Holley and Edelbrock will fit with those shaker bases.

If you are looking to add a shaker to your car, then I agree they look great and add something special to your car.

Beware the pitfalls if you can. You must get the exact shaker for your engine and your year model. There are many subtle differences

Aftermarket supply consists of mainly non operational ABS intakes - in that the flaps are not supplied or the vacuum operating system. Some have correct drainage holes, some do not.

OEM units, complete, are 1500 dollars, and up, way up.

Lot of money for a potential 5-10 hp gain at most.

I considered it once, but I did not want to cut a hole in my hood, and then try to mix and match fake parts, and for sure I did not want to pay 2500 dollars for a real set-up that needed complete refurbishment.

Your car, your money, your choice. I believe there is a reasonable copy available in Australia which some people like. I was in Australia when those reproduction units were selling like hotcakes to make XT, XW and XY Falcons into GTHO clones. They were 500 dollars a pop back in the 80's , and kinda cheesy, definitely not the real thing. They also were designed for a "general' fit to those Falcons. they have different hood heights to a Mustang, regardless of engine. I think it is a big risk unless you plan to custom fit the thing from start to finish.

Unfortunately there is no one-stop-shop that can supply you a correctly fitting reproduction set-up for all Mustangs and all engines.

On the intake question - The Edelbrock Performer will not flow any better than your stock 4V intake - it will just be lighter. The Performer RPM has improved flow, and is slightly taller. The Performer RPM Air Gap is a lot taller than stock, for obvious reasons.

I picked up a nice grabber orange

70 sportroof, it has a 69 351w and a top loader

In it. The 351 has the stock 4v intake and autolite

Carb, can I run a different carb or will it make the

Shaker too tall?

Do they make any aftermarket air cleaners for shaker

Set up?

What is a 351w full shaker set up worth?

Carb, air cleaner, shaker and all hardwere.

have a look here to get a gauge on the pricing and availability for 69 Mustangs with 351 Windsor. Check carefully to match your car and engine to the parts on offer.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/nsearch/?q=shaker

I have a shaker on the car now. I want to run a holly on the 351w.

But I was thinking about selling the set up and going with something

Different. Just didn't know what there worth.

I have a shaker on the car now. I want to run a holly on the 351w.

But I was thinking about selling the set up and going with something

Different. Just didn't know what there worth.

Cool for you! Keep it. Fix it if you need to. Definitely a great thing to have.

A Holley 600-650 would be a good fit for your car, either a 4150 or the 4160. The 4150 have two metering blocks, the 4160 only has one, with one metering plate.

I have a couple of Holley Street Avenger carbs on other cars and I like them a lot, but some folks do not like them for some reason or other.

The HP series Holleys are nice, but a bit pricey. I hear good things about the Quick Fuel carburetors, my tuner loves the 850 with annular boosters, but I have no experience with them.

Would love to see a pic of your current shaker set up

Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure what the best carb size to go with, it's a close to stock 351w 4v heads, roller rockers, and I'm not sure what cam is in it.

I'll post up some pics soon.

Edited by 970fizz

Are you planning any engine upgrades? New cam? That's when you need to select the right carburetor, to match the heads, cam and intake, and CR.

The 69 351 4V is a great block for power, but... also a nice original engine for your car in stock form.

Really, you cant lose either way.

I know the cam isn't stock, but it's not anything crazy. I'm looking at headers, not sure about Long vs short? The car has ps, not sure if that will Interfere with long headers, Other then headers, Exhaust, carb, I'll leave it as is.

Edited by 970fizz

351 with P/S and z-bar mechanical clutch? If YES to all three you will have to be careful to check fitment for long tube headers. You have the trifecta of fitment problem areas.

Shorties are not a huge deal better than port matched log manifolds. Good replacement item in a pinch, but they do not scavenge and flow like true headers do.

the 351 W suffers from the same weak points for making power that most Fords do - exhaust ports and intake manifold. The 4V heads you have are pretty good, but there is a lot of power left untapped in stock form.

It is that old story. fix one thing, then find the next weak point in the chain. A good carb needs a good cam and then a good flowing intake manifold, then good valve springs, then better flowing exhaust ports, then headers etc.....

A good 600 to 650 carb, a distributor re-curve and a dyno tune will make a difference.

They might. The lower deck height of the 302 will foul the perfect fit scenario on a 351, especially with z bar and power steering.

Are the tri-y's for a P? and manual transmission car? You may be lucky, and only one way to tell for sure.

A friend and I installed the tri y header on a 351 in a cougar with an auto trans

They fit well but do not come down far enough because the 351 has a taller deck height.

If you have a mig welder you can cut and tweak just a little to aim the collectors down a bit and they will work

Bob