Sign in to follow this  
panteramatt

adding aluminum heads without cam

I have a new carb and intake to put on my 351w. I figured while i have them off why not upgrade the heads. Probally get some tfs170 or afr 185 or similar. I know if i dont upgrade the cam it wont get the most out of the heads but how bad would it be? Also, can i run adjustable roller rickers with stock cam and pushrods? Any other things i should consider?

You will still see some decent gains with a stock cam.

Yes you can run adjustable rockers with a stock cam.

I would opt for the AFR 205's that way once your ready to eventually rebuild the motor and stroke it the 205s will be ideal..plus they don't cost much more and resale will be better if you ever decided to get rid of them....Down side to AFR heads are the Crappy valve springs and the poor Push rod alignment, aside from that they flow very well and can make 550 hp on a 408 with a VERY MILD Hyd Roller.. I have Dyno sheets to prove it.

If you are going to pull the heads you may as well do the cam also...even an off the shelf unit will be ok there is no need to go custom if you don't want to.

If the block is a Non Roller block and you want a roller cam you are gonna need retro fit roller lifters as well :P

You will see gains with the better heads even with the stock cam.

Yes you will not see as much but you will do no harm.

How many miles on the engine? I would want to replace the cam and the timing chain if they had a bunch of miles on them.

Yes the adjustable roller rockers will be just fine with with a stock cam

I guess you can ask if you need aluminum heads? You can also just port and polish the stock heads.

Bob