Sign in to follow this  
Guillaume69

Front caliper bleeding issue

Greetings to you all,

I refilled my braking system this week-end - first timer here. All went fine until I got near the end, bleeding air out of the 4 corners. Rear went smooth (drums), but the front RH caliper bleeder kept giving out fluid (when pumping the pedal) no matter how hard I would tighten it. Just impossible to close the darn thing! I replaced it, eventhough it was brand new, but that did not fix the issue...

Could it be that the caliper fitting itself has gone bad? I am using my stock calipers (cleaned and repainted), and never had an issue before.

Thanks for your help and advice!

G

I have changed the bleeder, but got the same symptoms... I guess a small crack in the caliper thread could cause this sort of issue, but would I be able to see it?

I am really thinking about changing this caliper. Any advice on whether I need to replace both? Is there any quality you guys would suggest?

Is there a real "bolt-on" performance caliper set I could use?

Perhaps there is something stuck inside the bleeder screw hole, which is preventing you from getting it fully closed. I don't know how easy it will be to check that (or fix, should there be something lodged down there). When you pulled the old bleeder, are you sure all of it came out?

As I understand, since you have stock disks, your options for upgrades are limited.

Good luck.

Chuck

Remove the bleeder and inspect in the hole. There could be debree at the seat or it could be cracked.

I really wish someone would,come out with an aluminum direct replacement caliper that bolted right on.

Your only other option is going aftermarket.

Bob

Yep, I just ordered one RH caliper, stock reconditioned. It's the cheap way to trouble shoot this issue I have right now, and ultimately, I'd love to upgrade to a nice pair of Wilwood rotors and associated calipers...

Just need to do more homework on this.

Thanks for your advice!

A cheaper solution may have been to get a bolt of the same thread size, just shorter than the bleeder screw and put that in (with some teflon tape or silicone sealant) and see if that at least contains the leak.

Good luck with the diagnosis. Let us know how it turns out.

Chuck

Remove the bleeder and inspect in the hole. There could be debree at the seat or it could be cracked.

I really wish someone would,come out with an aluminum direct replacement caliper that bolted right on.

Your only other option is going aftermarket.

Bob

There is a direct bolt on aluminium calliper made here in Australia by Girlock. They were fitted to Australian Falcons 1883-88 which use the same disc brake spindle. I am fitting a set to my 69 coupe. They are usually cheaper than these remanufactured ones on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Falcon-XE-XF-Front-calipers-/141291901620?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item

Edited by shaun071
add picture

Always happy to help. They are a nice simple upgrade for those with disc spindles that want a stock look. Generally you can get the callipers from a wrecking yard for about $50 a pair and a seal kit and new piston is only around $30. Freight to the states might be a killer though.

They use a different pad part number DB1075. I'm not sure whether they would be available in the states. When ordering pads make sure they are to fit 1984-88 XF Falcon with Girlock callipers. XF's were also fitted with PBR callipers which are a steel calliper thats almost an exact copy of the Kelsey Hayes 69 Mustang calliper. These are the pads I bought

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EXTREME-Front-Brake-Pad-Falcon-XB-XC-XD-XE-XF-GLK-/280640097797?pt=AU_Car_Pa

When I get a chance I'll post up pics of the complete front brake set up with part numbers etc

Done!

Got the $70 remanufactured stock caliper. Came in all nice and clean. I could tell they had tested it (as advertised) as there was a little bit of clear brake fluid in the bleeder. Primed, painted, mounted it and bleeder works perfectly.

Finished to bleed my lines and got a nice hard feeling pedal. I am a happy camper as this stuff is now behind me!

Edited by Guillaume69