Sign in to follow this  
KipDurran

Underdash wiring harness and gauges

My fuel, oil pressure and water temp gauges have not been working. This was after I have replaced the circuit and installed LED's. I then replaced the CVR but this didn't help either. Then I go to looking deeper into it and saw a little hint of burnt wiring. Digging deeper I found this:

14013300940_6e06d4da41_b.jpg20140515_215559 by kipduran

The black object has an orange/yellow wire out of one end and red, black/red (which is completely severed), and yellow/black wires out of the other end. What is it? I have having trouble relating this to the wiring diagram that I downloaded.

Confusingly, there is what appears to be a separate black/red wire running near it that seems to be split open. Is this one related to the black/red wire coming out of the black object? Were these two joined? I can't find the other end of the severed wire and the opened wire continues on into the loom.

I have given this a lot of thought including trying to repair it all but I have just decided to bite the bullet and replace it with a new harness form Mustangs Unlimited that I ordered this am. That way I can just have all new wiring and be done with it.

Thanks

Steve

That is a factory splice, taking a fused line that has radio power (yellow/black), black/red (backup light power to the NSS/manual transmission), one of the wiper lines (I think it is the washer power?), and power to the wiper motor assembly.

Too bad you didn't think of my harnesses before plopping down $800+ for a harness that I sell for $175 and provide a 2 year no questions asked warranty/guaranty.

+2 on Midlife harnesses...Randy restored my 70 Mach1 harness w/sport lights ,A/C, new tach wires...Just a Note...when I got my harness back it was ready to install...Randy also includes a list of what every wire is for. For Extra insurance I took a Dremmel with a tiny burr and twirled around in every female connector for a quick cleanup...I also replaced the printed circuit on the dash......joe

Edited by 3pedal

+ 3 on the Midlife harnesses. I don't know how he keeps his price that reasonable . I have purchased 2 of his complete harnesses and everything installs well as it is a stock wiring harness anyway totally reconditioned and never a problem.... PLUS a warranty. Try finding a warranty anywhere on electrical items. He's helped our hobby to the max. Bob

Kip, before you reinstall a new harness pull out your dash gauge housing and recheck the printed circuit and connections ,it may have shorted out where the fuel and temp connect.There are four studs in a cluster for the temp and fuel gauges that must be centered when installing the new printed circuit,failure to do so will cause a short circuit because the off center studs will ground out against the housing...Very bad design by Henry, "Center them" and epoxy them in place...send Midlife a PM you'll do good by him....joe

+ 4 on the Midlife harness repair. My harness was a little hacked and had some burnt (well close to it). He restored and I couldn't be happier. Top notch. I recommend you cancel the order and send your harness to Midlife -- save a ton-O-cash to use on other cool parts.

Thanks for the suggestion 3pedal. I have in fact tested the circuit board by using a 9v battery and connecting it at the plug area of the circuit. All 3 gauges move nicely with this so I an fairly certain the the circuit board, voltage regulator and the gauges are fine.

I have also sent a PM to Midlife.

Hey Midlife,

Where can I get more info on your wiring? Do you have a website? I assume you need the original harness supplied to you. Do you put new sockets on it? Some of my light sockets are melted. I have a tach car, no air. I'm looking into having the tackman restore the dash pods and gages.

Thanks,

Dave

Hey Midlife,

Where can I get more info on your wiring? Do you have a website? I assume you need the original harness supplied to you. Do you put new sockets on it? Some of my light sockets are melted. I have a tach car, no air. I'm looking into having the tackman restore the dash pods and gages.

Thanks,

Dave

http://midlife66.com/harnesses

Yes, I can take care of your tail-light sockets. I prefer to work on customer's harnesses, because of mid-year running changes so that you're ensured of having the right harness fit all of your accessories. I can also sell you one out of my stock (that's why I charge for cores) and you can send in yours later on.