Sign in to follow this  
d1gital

Removing instrument cluster

Beginner tinkerer here. I want to remove the instrument cluster on my 69 to install new LED's behind the gauges. I see about 8 holes around the cluster which appear to be allen key shaped. What tool do you use to remove the instrument cluster? I appreciate it!

Cruising DC last night

10375827_712222655501104_854262254_n.jpg

Very cool picture! Allen heads huh? It appears a previous owner changed them out. Mind are all Phillips had.

Bob

thats possible, but its that easy removing the instrument cluster? 8 or so screws?

I don't recall there being 8 screws. More like four, but my memory is as faded as the paint on my daily drive.....

Ya, pretty much that simple. Once you unscrew it, pull it forward and disconnect the wiring harness from behind and the speedometer cable and it should just pull free.

Reattaching both the above is usually the hardest part (at least it was for me).

Chuck

I have had my instrument panel out twice in the last few months. New car, some blown bulbs and bad gauges.

I took out the clock panel, dash pad and instrument panel to have a good clean out and check the wiring etc.

Some people remove the steering wheel but if you are careful you can get the cluster out with the wheel in place.

I would say you either leave the pad on and take the wheel off, or leave the wheel on and remove the dash pad. There is not much room and if you don't know where to find the main harness connector and the speedo cable, you are messing around blind with your hand in the back of the cluster.

Remove side panels between the doors and the dash pad - you will find a screw holding the dash pad ends. Remove them.

Remove upper and lower screws from the clock panel and ease it forward, disconnect wiring as the harness connections

Remove all perimeter screws from the instrument cluster.

Remove the three screws holding the dash pad - near the windscreen - use a long magnetized screwdriver.

Disconnect speedo connection at rear of instrument panel - push the plastic to one side to release the catch, and ease the cable end out of the sleeve.

Disconnect harness plug by squeezing the tabs at the top and bottom simultaneously, and ease it out. Unplug any wired bulbs (like the seat belt warning light - there may not be any wired bulbs.

Move the cluster toward the steering wheel and then up to clear the wheel, carefully.

That's about it as far as I can remember. You now have the instrument cluster for further disassembly, and a chance to clean up the dash area too. If you have AC, the center outlets will come out attached to the dash when you take that out.

Good chance to fix any wiring issues and missing hardware, check your heater vents, fix your dash speaker - radio mounting. I installed a map light and wiring. I serviced my clock, put in a seat belt warning light and a few other things.

I had a really good webpage as reference which I have just found. It is better than my description.

http://1970mgr.org/_InstrumentCluster.htm

good luck, and be sure to post how it goes for you. Instruments can be frustrating to fix, but I have managed two cars in the last 12 months, and it is a lot better driving experience when everything is working as it was designed.

You may have to lower the steering column at the dash,remove lower cover and 3 nuts holding column up and put a towel over the collar top so not to scratch the paint....the whole deal is a PITA....joe

Edited by 3pedal