Sign in to follow this  
Mikes

Pulley Problems

hi guys im new to posting but have read a bunch on this site, it has helped me put my new motor in with very little problems. Ok so here goes, I have a 1969 coupe that came with a 302, I took out the 302 and put in a 351w roller motor. I was putting everything back together and noticed that my water pump pulley and crankshaft pulley are so freaking close to touching its not funny. The water pump pulley is slightly recessed by like 1/16" toward the motor, and that's fully bolted down. If I was to line up the water pump pulley and the crankshaft pulley exactly they touch. Now this is my question, on a stock 302 or 351w that year how close are the pulleys supposed to be? keep in mind I am using the same pulleys from my 302, and the same balancer also. I just don't remember if they were this close to touching when they were on my 302, it could be completely normal. I just didn't look before I took everything apart. I would assume the mounting positions for the water pump and crankshaft pulleys would be exactly the same on a 351w, I know the deck heights are different but I used the 302 timing cover so it must be the same rite? Any help would be much appreciated guys. Keep in mind they don't touch now, but at 5,000 rpm I don't know what will happen. Collision between pulleys cant be good.

They were on my 302 no problems, do you think the water pump is underdrive? That would make it bigger yes? I did have overheating issues, but never had pulley interference problems. Do you think its ok or dont chance it and buy a correct water pump pulley?

What water pump are you running. If it the late model one then that is Likly the problem with them not lining up and with them being too close

Also the late model water pump may be a reverse rotation pump so you need to know what it is.

Bob

Mine are pretty close as well. I switched my standard pulleys for a 3 groove crank and a smaller diameter 2 groove water. I didnt think they were going to work either but they are the right PN per multiple sources.

Check out www.mustangtek.com for PNs and descriptions on various pulleys, etc.