Sign in to follow this  
Chelby-Ann

Exhaust Manifold - MOD

I bought new ceramic coated TRI-Y Headers for my 302. I know that most EM's need to be slightly modified to fit. As you can see from the pictures I have clearance issues. The headers are mocked up for now.

What is the best way to get these to clear the bell housing and maybe the starter? I really don't want to beat the ceramic coating to make them clear but if that is the best way, what advice can you give? Can I grind away at the bell housing? Thanks for the help.

You can grind the bello using but that will be a ton of grinding.

I suspect you have a later bel housing on there that uses the larger flywheel/flex plate like used for the 351c

You can buy a spare header flange ( like to make headers) or make one and then use it as a spacer and use 2 gaskets to move the header away. I think/ hope it will still clear the shock tower if you do that

Bob

Ceramic coated Peritronix Tri-Y headers from CJ Pony Model EXHD10

Solved my interference fit by grinding the bell housing down and now have a 3/16 clearance and I ordered a new hi-torque mini starter. No more interference fitment issues.

They must work really hard to have fitment issues with tri-y headers! There's only two tubes going thru a pretty large area on the passenger side. Last time I checked, ceramic coated headers were pretty pricey. You'd think grinding anything would not be needed. I know I wouldn't.

Bob

I ended up removing the standard 4" starter, ground down the bell housing until I had about .200" clearance and installed a mini Hi-Torque starter designed to take care of these clearance issues. I did not have to beat down on my new headers. I also went with the locking header bolts from Summit. :thumbup1:

Edited by Chelby-Ann
Spelling