Sign in to follow this  
BurnRubberNotYourSoul

I cannot figure out what spindles I have

So I have my 69 mach 1. Disc brakes up front. This car was built as a "drag car" and has been bodged together and now I'm trying to figure it out. When I got it the tire rod ends were sloppy as can be. So I ordered some tie rod ends for a 71-73 mustang and they seem to fit. Now I'm realizing the I'm having the same issue with the lower ball joints. Like the hole is too big for the ball joint. The spindle sat so low on the ball joint the it has eaten the top of the ball joint. I have looked at ALOT of pics of spindles and cannot figure out what they came from. They look very similar to Granada style spindles but the 70-73 mustang and Granadas all take this ball joint. The only thing about my spindle is if you look at the triangle that the 3 bolts for the dust cover make, my 3 are top forward, right at the tie rod arm, and directly below the ball joint. And I can't find any spindles that have that pattern. The arm that goes up to the upper ball joint looks beefy like the Granada style except the Granada style has a slight jog to the rear and mine goes straight up. I see ford stamped everywhere on the parts but the only numbers I can find are 4A7AA 859 and 4A8AA 859. anybody have any ideas? The upper ball joint appears to fit correctly but it could have been changed when whoever knew what they were putting in

Hmm... those spindles look like my old 69 disc. I gave them to my brother, so I'm not able to inspect them. Those rotors look HUGE. I've got no idea.

Bob

Put it in the internet search and it looks like 1974 grand Torino

Bob

What did you search? I spent an hour searching every number on there and didn't get any hits

I appreciate the help guys. I figured it had to be something not mustang related. I've tried looking at spindles for 60s-70s mustang, cougar, Granada, some Torinos, Fairmont, futura, pinto, thunderbird, f100, ranchero and probably more. I'm probably just gonna end up buying 71-73 spindles. And yes the discs are huge which I why I was thinking Granada because everyone kept saying how they had better brakes

I put the number you have into Google and came back with a hit on a ford forum where the guy was asking about the brakes on his car. He gave the spindle number and other info

Yes you can use those, but you could also by the same measure use spindles from a Chevy or dodge. It's just that I would not.

The geometry is all wrong and I don't think it's worth it.

Get the right spindles and brakes and be done with it

Bob

IMHO I have to agree with Bob. I don't have the links handy, but there are a couple websites that go into details about why the Granada and other later model Ford spindles are not correct and there will always be geometry problems with mismatched parts. The system was designed with specs and engineering requirements so the car would handle and brake properly and safely. What may work initially may cause problems later down the road. Not worth the hassles-- especially if you want to drive the car frequently. Try to find the right parts. And I know the pain-- I'm going through and have gone through some of it finding the right parts (and the cost) for my project. Save up some pennies and stay with it. jim

I have the drum brake spindles if you wanted to go with a 65-67 type 4 piston disc brakes. I know some people like them better. You can also go with an aftermarket brake system with these spindles.

If you want the original type of brakes then you can find them on mustang, cougar, falcon, fairlane, ranchero.....etc that are 68 and 69

For drag racing those Likly worked acceptable but when you swap things out that are different geometry you can get funny handling quirks. If you drive slow and easy you may never notice, if you track the car or drive energetically you will find the quirks.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I did pickup '70 Mustang spindles a few months ago, along with new larger '70 bearings, and brandy new rotors. My plan is to exchange the calipers for rebuilt ones. I will be ordering new brake and fuel lines soon. Will also need the banjo hoses for the calipers I think.

My booster is likely shot and may need replaced. My friend said that AZ or one of our local parts stores may have a mated booster/MC system that will bolt up fine.

I believe the aftermarket steering system uses the original manual steering hardware - including the pitman arm. The gearbox may need inspected/checked. Probably worn in all likelihood. Seems like an endless list sometimes.....

I appreciate your responses. Jim

If you want decent brakes that are fairly period correct, go for the 70 spindles with a 4 piston disc brake conversion. The 70 spindles have a larger shaft and are stronger. they are also fairly common, since the average 70 coupe is not hard to find and parts are available. Especially drum brake spindles. The conversion kits have the tie rod ends, calipers, rotors etc, in fact everything you need to do the job.

The Ford spindles are forged, and far better than aftermarket copies. The only things to beware of are excessive wear on the bearing surface of the shaft, and out of round, or enlarged holes for the tie rod and/or lower arm ball joint. The bearing surface is the more important, of course, as it is really not repairable and indicates end of life for the spindle.

I did the conversion on a 70, with just manual discs and the braking is very good. I have gone with Wilwood on another car and had a lot of problems, and poor result for the money.

Prices vary greatly. I would recommend getting in touch with Chocko (at Chockostang.com) he is a good and and will sell you only what you need. Kentucky Mustang has a decent kit for under $900, and CJ's sell for about $1400.

You may mess around with the Frankenstein brakes/steering you have now, and get them in reasonable order, but really, why risk it. Even stock 69 spindles with a kit would be better, both short term and long term, for operation, servicing and parts. 1970 would be a bonus and an upgrade.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Hopefully its ok to cut/paste my own blabbeling from another post.....

I'm fuzzy on my memory but along with the 1970 larger bearings, I believe the benefit of the drum spindles is they are supposed to be stronger compared to the disc spindle - due to the disc spindles having a hole drilled in a location that could cause weakness.

I think I have that statement somewhere above 50% correct.....lol.

Alright thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and just ordered some torino bolt in ball joints. I'm gonna give it a shot for now. That seems to be the cheapest and easiest for now. Its pretty much just gonna be a car to just drive. I don't plan on racing or going through the mountains on two wheels or anything. Ill just go with it for now. Finding old mustang parts around here isn't easy or cheap. Ill fix it all correctly later