Sign in to follow this  
Raven R code

Thoughts on best repo door shells and trunk lid

Tried doing a search to see if this was already listed in an earlier post...came up empty handed.

So in my quest for clean doors and trunk lid, I'm now looking at possibly going with repo parts. If anyone has experience with fitment and quality, please speak up. I'm considering DYNACORN parts. Is this the way to go? I heard somewhere that all repo doors are slightly shorter than original doors.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Raven R code

Tried doing a search to see if this was already listed in an earlier post...came up empty handed.

So in my quest for clean doors and trunk lid, I'm now looking at possibly going with repo parts. If anyone has experience with fitment and quality, please speak up. I'm considering DYNACORN parts. Is this the way to go? I heard somewhere that all repo doors are slightly shorter than original doors.

Thanks in advance!

I replied to another post about Dynacorn doors, I replaced both doors on my fastback with Dynacorn repo's and the driver side fit really well and was very pleased. The passenger side was not as good It was somewhat short but it was not the length of the skin area itself it was more like the post that the hinge bolts to was back father than the OEM door. I could measure across the skin part of the door and it measured the same as the OEM door so it had to be the hinge post. That being said I had to put a shim between the hinge and door to correct the problem. Most others that I have talked to say they have never had this problem so I guess it was just a bad door that I got. Probably should have sent it back but waited to late. I also replaced the deck lid with Dynacorn and was well pleased also replaced a lot of other panels with Dynacorn and was satisfied with all of them except the right door.

Dave

I replaced both doors on my fastback with Dynacorn repo's and the driver side fit really well and was very pleased.

I bought a pair of doors from the California desert but not sure my skills are good enough to make them perfect. I can block sand and will try painting this spring but thats it. So dynacorn sounds like the way to go. I'm really glad to hear they fit well too. Did your trunk lid have the oval cut-outs on the underside for the rear spoiler mount?

Thanks,

Dave

I bought a pair of doors from the California desert but not sure my skills are good enough to make them perfect. I can block sand and will try painting this spring but thats it. So dynacorn sounds like the way to go. I'm really glad to hear they fit well too. Did your trunk lid have the oval cut-outs on the underside for the rear spoiler mount?

Thanks,

Dave

If you have good sound OEM doors you are a world ahead of the Repo's because you will probably have to do some block sanding on the repo's also especially on the very bottom. Most I have seen usually have to be dollied out some . Also I sorry for the PM delay again just noticed you sent me a PM and replied to it a few minutes ago.

Dave

Take pictures! I'm curious how straight and flat the folded edges will bee. Pictures! ;)

Will do, they should be with me early next week (shipping to England is a real pain) and likely to be fitted in next 2-3 weeks, so will keep you posted.

Chris

great pics! On the subject, I just found a local guy that specializes in skinning doors. He has a roller crimper of some sort that is specific to making the folded edges look just like the factory.

Keep the pictures rolling!

Dave

Dave, now that sounds a neat tool.

Had a "trial fit" of a skin tonight on one door - first impressions are good, some minor fettling required. Good fit either side, bottom part is tad short, but OK.

Skins should be fitted over weekend, so will come back with some pics as soon as able.

Regards

Chris

Ive just replaced my doors and deck lid with dynacorn parts also.

Not too bad, im pleased overall.

Cant expect too much from aftermarket parts.

I work in a restoration shop and do this for a living so gapping doors is part of my job.

The gaps really are not that bad but im very picky so I will probably gap the doors to my liking.

What trunk lid do you need?

I have a nice fastback lid

Bob

I'm looking for a fastback trunk lid. My current lid is clean except for the folded edge on the rear lip (just above the tail light panel). With this round of paint, I don't want to deal with surface rust or defects in that area).

Dave

PS: going to the body shop tomorrow early to get my hood (crunched in the nose), 2 rust free doors (leaning toward getting skins) and trunk lid looked at for repair and get ready for paint.

Ive just replaced my doors and deck lid with dynacorn parts also.

Not too bad, im pleased overall.

Cant expect too much from aftermarket parts.

I work in a restoration shop and do this for a living so gapping doors is part of my job.

The gaps really are not that bad but im very picky so I will probably gap the doors to my liking.

You are lucky! I'm an IT guy that is taken a crash course on autobody on youtube. :death: I just picked up Eastwoods concourse paint gun with 3 tips and a dual action palm sander. :crying:

going to give it a shot!

Well....had the rustfree doors down to the body shop today. Door skin replacement is the way to go. I will blast and seal the door shells before putting the new skins on.

Any more feedback on door skins is appreciated as I need to purchase very soon. LaurelMountain Mustang offers door skins with "improved" tooling. I plan to call to see what these are about.

You are lucky! I'm an IT guy that is taken a crash course on autobody on youtube. :death: I just picked up Eastwoods concourse paint gun with 3 tips and a dual action palm sander. :crying:

going to give it a shot!

Ah...youll be fine.

Ive put skins on too but my inner shells were rotted out too that's why I went with complete doors.

Florida car...gotta love the sea air.

Dave,

quick update, skins trial fit before welding, pretty good fit on edges with minimal trim to make. Hope the pics are useful.

Chris

Edges look pretty darn good!Most pics I've seen show a lot of dimpling. Are you using a door skin tool for the edges?

Dave

Dave,

quick update, skins trial fit before welding, pretty good fit on edges with minimal trim to make. Hope the pics are useful.

Chris

Edges look pretty darn good!Most pics I've seen show a lot of dimpling. Are you using a door skin tool for the edges?

Dave

Dave,

Tried to use the skin zipper tool today, in a word, rubbish! IMO Don't bother with it and I reverted to a rubber mallet and then a panel beating hammer and dolly for final knock over.

I also tried to use the epoxy mastic type bond under skin edges for first skin, but found it made a mess so reverted back to welding in about 8 spots on the skin. Should finish both of them off in the next few days so will post some pics when i can.

Chris

Fitting the door skins was not an easy thing to do, but to say I'm happy with them it is an understatement.

Even without the door hinges in place and just using the door latch plate the alignment is spot on as you can see from the top door swage/3/4 line. Not bad for a first timer on door skin replacement.

Word of warning on door skins, IMO don't use the skin zipper tool that everyone raves about on line. I tried it and found it next to useless with the thick metal on the dynacorn skins, in the end I used a good old fashioned dolly. BTW I tried to use the mastic type bond, found it goes everywhere and in the end resort to tacking the door skin with welder, just be careful with welder as it can distort the skin.

With all major repairs down, just the hard work of blocking, sanding etc to do now ! Although I;m going to take a break from this as my driving and using my K code will be the order of the day, when it comes in late May.

P1030077_zpsc8bd186f.jpg

http://s1154.photobucket.com/user/silverfox1001/media/Mach1%20resto/Doors/P1030076_zpsc68853ff.jpg.html]P1030076_zpsc68853ff.jpg[/url]

http://s1154.photobucket.com/user/silverfox1001/media/Mach1%20resto/Doors/P1030075_zps0c699430.jpg.html]P1030075_zps0c699430.jpg[/url]

P1030078_zps2e73884e.jpg

Edited by silverfox999