Sign in to follow this  
Raven R code

69 doors

I just got a couple of doors from the california desert and I'm not a body panel expert...yet. The outer skin of these original doors seems to have a bit of flex in them (mostly in the middle). is this just metal fatigue? My current doors have some flex but not as much as these. Has anyone ever heard of tack welding a support on the inside of the door skin to stiffen the area up?

thx!

The top of my passenger fender had a big oil can in it that would stay in but you could pop it up from inside the wheel well. My body shop fixed it when they painted it and they added no stiffener to the underside. I need to ask them how they did it. Heat or dry ice or ?

also....does anyone have experience working with the new rust preventative solutions like Eastwood's products? Not that the car will ever be in the salt , I would like to treat the bottoms of the doors to prevent the surface rust that ate away at the folded edge of the door skin (bottom). I talked to a guy at Eastwood and he said to make a trough and soak the door bottom for 2 days in this solution they have and then add another one of their coatings.

The top of my passenger fender had a big oil can in it that would stay in but you could pop it up from inside the wheel well. My body shop fixed it when they painted it and they added no stiffener to the underside. I need to ask them how they did it. Heat or dry ice or ?

You can use a shrinking disc or a stud welder to remove any oil canning. Generally the area will require a skim coat of filler afterwards.

d

The outer skin of these original doors seems to have a bit of flex in them (mostly in the middle). is this just metal fatigue? My current doors have some flex but not as much as these. Has anyone ever heard of tack welding a support on the inside of the door skin to stiffen the area up?thx!

In general steel body panels don't fatigue. Sometimes if you work the metal too much it will harden and become brittle however I don't think that is the case here. You've most likely gotten a door that is warped from the heat of the desert or the stress of an accident/improper storage. I'd recommend fitting the door first before you add any extra supports. 65-68 doors have a cross brace but I don't believe 69-70 doors do.

david