Sign in to follow this  
jandj1970

70 Mach1

Hello all this is my 70 mach1 I bought 6yrs ago, and ive decide to do a build thread.

263746_465890696796148_1077614007_n.jpg

I got a Marti report on the car

Built at Metuchen plant,

Build date 11/69

Colour Raven black

Engine 351 2v (Windsor)

3spd manual transmission

Axle ratio 3.00

Interior Black

White wall tyres

The vehicle was sold from Sheehy ford Marlow Heights.

The first few years of owing the car I was just buying parts, and now ive been working on the car the last couple of years.

The basic run down on the car is

Opentracker front suspensions, UCA lowered 3/4 inch

Rear leaf springs rebuilt and lowered, I got an extra leaf add to the springs

Toploader W/R with hurst shifter

Detroit Locker with 3.66 gears

3.5 inch tailshaft with billet slip yoke

Mal wood Hydraulic clutch setup

4 piston calipers front, standard drums on the rear

FPA custom headers for Cleveland, 1 3/4 primarys

S/S tank with in tank pump

Custom carb

After doing a lot of research in front suspension ( coil over setup) I wasn't allowed to run any heim/ rose joints in the front suspension. I live in Queensland Australia and it was impossible to run coil over suspension in my car.

So after doing a lot of reading I decide to go with Opentracker setup.

Nice work mate!! I feel your pain with grinding welds, I'm still cleaning up my floorpans. What front disc/ rotor setup are you using? I wound up using XF falcon disc/calipers on XC spindles with stock drums on the rear.

Yeah its a pain, with the brakes mate I am just using stock drum spindles with reproduction kesley Haynes 4 piston and a brake booster. There is a company in calapaba that offers a big 4 piston brake kit for mustangs using a xf front spindles, I think the kit goes for $2000 mate. There is also a company called cruzing classic ( I think that's what there called) that offer brembo brake kit, but I don't know what they charge for there kit mate.

When I build my motor I want, I going to upgrade to one of these big brake kits.

Nice work mate. You guys from Oz amaze me. I don't believe I've seen any crappy work from all y'all down there. With the added costs for shipping and the regulations you have to jump thru, my hat is of to you. Smart choice with the Opentracker stuff. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Bob

Thanks Bob, it took me a while to find a parts guy here in oz for the resto. But like you said Govt regulations on older vehicles is a nightmare, and now there just starting on a new law called VSB-14.

Which means national vehicle standards in regards to power to weight, and many other crappy laws.

I'll stick with the XF set up for now as my car will only be a daily driver, 300-350hp max. All up the parts only owe me about $600 for spindles, reco callipers, slotted discs and new master cylinder/booster/pedal set. If it becomes a weekend toy and I go for more power, I'll keep the drum spindles and hubs and have a play with adapting local Ford gear. I've got some AU discs/2 spot calipers and when the wifes Territory needs its discs replaced I'll have some 328mm rotors to play with. The stock AU set up with slotted rotors works really well- My 1700kg XR8 ute has that set up and will nearly put you through the windscreen. On a light Mustang it should work well.

That's not a bad brake setup you have got for your mustang mate, I think my whole brake kit with slotted and drill rotors, braided brake lines front less master cylinder was $1350. My dad runs Repo Kelsey hayes 4 piston calipers with standard disc in his 66, it stops ok for non-power assited.

It will be interesting to see how my braking compares to his fastback, hopefully I plan on driving mine a few times a week. Then when I can afford a full resto on the body I might put it on club rego, but for now iam just going to repair the rust and get it on the road by xmas fingers crossed.

I'm on the same track as you- just fix the rust, fit discs and get her registered and enjoy. The big plus for you is the KH disc set up shouldn't need to be mod plated as they are "standard mustang parts". I've got to get my set up mod plated even though everything is identical to stock mustang apart from the callipers. Gotta love QLD transport not!!

Yeah your right there mate qld transport don't miss you, I remember getting a quote for getting car registered I nearly had a heart attack when they told me the price. I just dropped off my fuel tank, fuel pump and stainless sheet so I can have in-tank pump, hopefully have that in a couple of weeks. I am getting a price from American auto wire for new harness, so hopefully I can order that soon.

A new harness is on my to do list for the next phase after its registered. The plan is drive it for a while and sort out the bugs then off the road for a month or so and fit up an American Auto Wire harness, Dakota Digital VHX dash and air con. Then drive it for a while and get some cash together for a new engine and AOD auto. I've had the box for a while, it came from another project, just need the cash to buy an eb-au falcon donor car for the injected 5.0. I'm looking at an in tank pump set up using a BF falcon pump module. I'm on the mustang tech forum here in aus and there's some pretty detailed pics of how to do it.

Long time since update, anyway ive finished welding in my shock tower reinforcing kit and I gave it a coat of etch primer. I also had my S/S tank modified for an internal fuel pump fitted (rated to 800hp), my full wiring harness from American auto wire has arrived and iam very happy with the quality of workmanship. Also ive order a straight monte carlo bar and a Del A Lum bushing and shackle kit from Global wet suspension.

Hopefully I can get a chance to start repairing/ welding the rear end this weekend, anyway here are some pictures.

Rgs Jason

DSC02448.jpg

DSC02447.jpg

DSC02446.jpg