Sign in to follow this  
Steve69

1970 Window adjustment

Hey Guys,

Have a 69 Mustang with the 70 bolt in glass. My drivers side window has been really hard to turn up and down. Took out the regulater and it seems to work good. It Turns slightly hard one way which I think is where the spring tension is and easy the other way. My window wont slide easy in the tracking. It seems like the window is to tight against the outer window seal. Is there an adjustment on the slider bars to bring the window back a bit. I loosened the adjusters on the bottom of the door but didn't seem to help on top where I need the movement.

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

Have a 69 Mustang with the 70 bolt in glass. My drivers side window has been really hard to turn up and down. Took out the regulater and it seems to work good. It Turns slightly hard one way which I think is where the spring tension is and easy the other way. My window wont slide easy in the tracking. It seems like the window is to tight against the outer window seal. Is there an adjustment on the slider bars to bring the window back a bit. I loosened the adjusters on the bottom of the door but didn't seem to help on top where I need the movement.

Thanks!

I also changed to the bolt in windows and my passenger side was doing the same thing and I had to take some of the bow out of the 2 guide rails.

It does not take a lot either so if you do this use slight adjustments and recheck. Dave

I also changed to the bolt in windows and my passenger side was doing the same thing and I had to take some of the bow out of the 2 guide rails.

It does not take a lot either so if you do this use slight adjustments and recheck. Dave

So how did you go about taking the bow out Dave? Did you do this with the glass attached?

Thanks!

So how did you go about taking the bow out Dave? Did you do this with the glass attached?

Thanks!

It's been a while but you have to have them out which is not that bad of a deal if you still have the door panel off. Just remove the bottom bumper from the bottom of the door and roll it all the way down to get access to the top bolts then roll it back up and remove bottom bolts then u should be able to maneuver them out. I have a vise on a work bench and clamp the foot end on the rail (not the foot piece it self) with the jaws of the vice padded and the bow down toward the work bench. Then carefully push down on it slightly enough to spring it a little in the direction. As I mentioned you have to be extra careful here you can actually bend it some and not realize it. So check check and check again. BTW depending how tall your vise is you may have to put something under the bow between the rail and bench. Forgot to mention too that you will have to remove bottom window stop.

Dave

Edited by det0326

I just used small washers on mine.It was a bit of trial and error to get the desired width.I just taped them together if you need 2 or 3.If you go to wide you run out of adjustment down the bottom and it wont line up with the weather strip when the window is wound up.Also i found out after mucking around with them for ages to get them right, they are listed on some catalogues as left and right.What the difference is i've got no f 'n idea .Maybe it matters maybe not.

Edited by 9RO1M

I just used small washers on mine.It was a bit of trial and error to get the desired width.I just taped them together if you need 2 or 3.If you go to wide you run out of adjustment down the bottom and it wont line up with the weather strip when the window is wound up.Also i found out after mucking around with them for ages to get them right, they are listed on some catalogues as left and right.What the difference is i've got no f 'n idea .Maybe it matters maybe not.

Looks like there aint a heck of lot of room to get your fingers in there to bring it back either. Thanks for the info!

There is a right and left and most is stamped on the foot with an "R" or a "L" and it's the way the foot is welded to the rail. If you have them out and put them on a flat surface the different hands will lean in different directions. As I said it's been a while since I did mine but I think the ones that lean to right goes in the right (passenger) door and the ones that lean to the left goes in the left door.

Steve69:

The reason I had to bend the rails on mine was because when the window was rolled up it was centered OK and when it was rolled down it was pretty much centered, it was the middle portion that was off. Maybe yours is different than that I don't know and you can get by with shims.