Sign in to follow this  
Zipppo

Front rim size

Hi again,

I have a question for you wheel and tire experts. I will run a B.F.Goodrich Radial T/A 235/60/15 on the front of my 1969 Mustang with factory disc brakes.

What rim size is better 15x7 or 15X8 and backspacing? The car will be lower 2" than stock. I wish to avoid rolling the lip and any rubbing.

Thank you!

I have a question for you wheel and tire experts. I will run a 15x7 wheel with B.F.Goodrich Radial T/A 235/60/15 on the front of my 1969 Mustang with factory disc brakes.

I have seen some posts where folks are using 3.5" backspacing and others I think 4.0" or 4.25" backspacing.

I will lower the front of the car and I wish not to have any rubbing issues with the fender lip or the ball joint. Anyone help with some pictures showing the orientation of the wheel lip and tire to the fender staight on and from the side?

I have to order the wheels and I need to make sure I get it right.

Thanks in advance.

I have spent countless hours on the phone speaking with many folks with regards to this.

I found a outfit up in Washington State called Mainly Muscle Cars. Spoke with Mike there and was very helpful. He shared a 15x7 with a 4.50 inch backspacing and a 235/60/15 will fit nicely up front. On the website of the same name they have recently sold section of cars and many are 1969-70 Mustangs that are lowered and run the wheel and tire combo I just shared.

In speaking with the various vendors of these wheels I was very disappointed in the lack of knowledge with regards to backspacing. A couple of outfits tried to sell me wheels and could care less about proper fitment. Comments like " They should fit or I think they will fit" do not cut it with me. The wheels are not cheap and at least from my view I want to get it right the first time.

I share this in order to hopefully help others that are thinking of running 15 inch wheels on their 69-70 Mustangs.

Edited by Zipppo

I do not know.

In my view I prefer the 15" wheels and tires as they "Look right" on the cars. the larger wheels ( IE 16"on up) and tires in my opinion take away from the car. The larger wheels and thin sidewalled tires or too large a wheel and tire make the car look funny to me. As if running on rubber bands or a toy.

I am no expert though from my own experience handling is improoved by wider wheels and tires will make a huge difference as well as lowering the car. The stock early Mustang suspension up front is terrible. There are many aftermarket bolt on suspension and steering kits out there to improve the ride height and handling of the car. The best thing is that you can reverse this stuff so as not to destroy the car by cutting it or welding after market stuff under it.

Again this is my view some will agree and others not. I love the old 69-70 Mustang Trans Am race car style. Wide wheels and tires all around and low to the ground. These cars look awesome.

Anyway I encourage to talk to folks at cruise ins, car shows that have modified the front suspension and maybe the rear as well and get their input as to was it worth it on the upgrades or mods and go from there.

Pictures to follow soon. The wheel guy did a gret job and nailed it with the wheels. The backspacing is dead on. He is going to make up some with a 7 and a half wide and I can run a 245/60/15. Pictures to come soon.

This was a nice thread to read. Great info, and finally a thread where I don't feel like a freak for wanting to run 15s on my car. And I am really glad to hear that I should be able to expect a 235/60 R15 should work all the way around. I put my front end back stock (good or bad at least all the parts are new now). CANT WAIT TO SEE THE PICS from Zippo!

While I like the Magnum 500's, I am interested in some new classic chrome cragars. I'd like to stay away from aluminum wheels. Don't know if there are others out there with this wheel, but would like hear from/see pics if they are out there.