Sign in to follow this  
etel64

treating welded seams

Since a butt weld is weaker I assume you did this so that it doesnt show. In that case you probably dont want a seam of sealer there either. So, I would put a couple of good coats of two part epoxy, and then topcoat as you wish.

I guess another way to look at it is that seam sealer is for seams. Factory lap joints are bare steel and there are voids that can hold moisture. A proper butt weld has no voids and no bare metal once sprayed with primer sealer and paint. No seam... no seam sealer. You took the extra time for fitting, welding, grinding why slop it up with sealer? A lapp joint would have been stronger, quicker and you could have slathered that with seam sealer.

I guess another way to look at it is that seam sealer is for seams. Factory lap joints are bare steel and there are voids that can hold moisture. A proper butt weld has no voids and no bare metal once sprayed with primer sealer and paint. No seam... no seam sealer. You took the extra time for fitting, welding, grinding why slop it up with sealer? A lapp joint would have been stronger, quicker and you could have slathered that with seam sealer.

You're right... if he really did butt weld the floor pans in then he went through a lot of extra effort and paint will be sufficient.

I'll disagree that butt welds are weaker than lap joints. They are probably equally strong, but the lap joints are prone to interior rust and if they are not perfectly flat against one another, there can be weldment issues. I prefer butt welds primarily because you can do it such that only an expert can see the seams. Hiding a lap weld is much harder to do.

JMHO.

Well, thanks for all the suggestions folks. I got all this butt welding and plug welding technique down perfectly now after welding 8' worth. After grinding it looks perfect. well almost anyway. hadn't touched a welder in 25 years and took some time to get that feel again.:thumbup1:

As far as treating it is concerned I am spraying it with Eastwood rust encapsulator and then on the underside using bed liner. once that's on you wont be able to tell. As far as the inside is concerned, I sprayed it and am coating it with seam sealer.

Any input regarding the treating would be helpful. thanks