Sign in to follow this  
Rewind351

Won't start after fuel tank and lines

Replaced the tank and lines. Starts momentarily with starter fluid, but not getting fuel to carb. Took off the fuel hose at the pump, put in some air and it came pouring out of the hose. Still won't start so I'm assuming it's the pump.

Anything I'm missing? I don't have a manual and haven't done the pump before. Any tips or is it pretty straightforward?

Thanks in advance!

R

Replaced the tank and lines. Starts momentarily with starter fluid, but not getting fuel to carb. Took off the fuel hose at the pump, put in some air and it came pouring out of the hose. Still won't start so I'm assuming it's the pump.

Anything I'm missing? I don't have a manual and haven't done the pump before. Any tips or is it pretty straightforward?

Thanks in advance!

R

When pressurizing the tank did you see any leaks between the tank and fuel pump? Could the tank line at the fuel pump be sucking air? If you have an old fuel pump that is good connect it to the tank line at the fuel pump and pump by hand and see if it pumps any fuel.

update:

I might have misunderstood did you put a small amount of air at the tank filler or apply air at the pump going to the carb?

Edited by det0326

When pressurizing the tank did you see any leaks between the tank and fuel pump? Could the tank line at the fuel pump be sucking air? If you have an old fuel pump that is good connect it to the tank line at the fuel pump and pump by hand and see if it pumps any fuel.

Found no leaks when I pressurized the tank. I have a new pump and can simulate what you are saying before removing the old one. The power steering and AC compressor make removal of the old pump a pain it looks like.

Why did you change tank and lines? Rust or were you have problem with it pumping fuel before changing the tank? Sure seems like a fuel pump problem now.

Hoses were gummy and I changed to stainless steel tank and lines. I'm afraid of ethanol lol. Replaced the pump and haven't tried to start it yet. The old pump appears to be functional. Pumped the pedal and was not getting anything to the carb.

Hoses were gummy and I changed to stainless steel tank and lines. I'm afraid of ethanol lol. Replaced the pump and haven't tried to start it yet. The old pump appears to be functional. Pumped the pedal and was not getting anything to the carb.

Do you think that you may have trash from the old tank/lines that may be in the line going to carb or maybe stoped up the needle and seat.

The pump needs to be primed. Most self-prime after a few seconds of turning the engine over (cranking). After that, a few seconds more to get the gas up to the carb.

How long were you cranking the starter?