Sign in to follow this  
kenbrackins

Ignition problem similiar to a post below

I have an issue similar to Thunderscrash post a few days ago. I started my 69 tonight and a belt was screeching so I shut it down and tightened. When I tried to restart it was not firing. I have noticed lately that I have had a problem starting that seemed electrical. I am getting spark in the run position but when the key is in the start position I get no spark or just a very faint one. The harness that goes to the coil and temperature dummy light was replaced with a new one less than a year ago. Can anyone tell me what would give me this problem of no power to the wire to the positive post of the coil in the start position and good power in the run position? Thank you very much.

Forgot to post that I am using a high torque starter that has its own solenoid so I think that one of the little wires coming off the original solenoid may supply power to the coil when key is in start position. Can someone confirm this? Could I have damaged or unplugged another wire when I pried back the alternator to tighten belt? Thanks so much.

Edited by kenbrackins

Your are correct there is a wire from the original starter solenoid to the coil and I think it is brown MidLife or some one with diagrams can confirm this for you, I don't have any schematics myself I am running on memory and at my age that's not good.

You need the wire you took off the solenoid. It supplies a full 12 volts to the cool in the start position..there was a thread on here from some one who had described how to hook a relay up to supply 12v when using a mini starter.

Your are correct there is a wire from the original starter solenoid to the coil and I think it is brown MidLife or some one with diagrams can confirm this for you, I don't have any schematics myself I am running on memory and at my age that's not good.

Your memory is good. Yes, the starter solenoid needs to feed the coil when the starter is cranking, as it pulls the voltage down enough that the ignition switch through pink resistor wire to coil can't get enough voltage to fire the spark plugs. Bypassing the ignition switch is the purpose of that brown wire while cranking.

You need the wire you took off the solenoid. It supplies a full 12 volts to the cool in the start position..there was a thread on here from some one who had described how to hook a relay up to supply 12v when using a mini starter.

I still have that wire and the solenoid and the car has had the mini starter on there for a while. I must have damaged some wire when I was tightening the belt. Now that I know its the brown wire I think I can track it down. Is there any chance that it could have a problem in the key switch?

I still have that wire and the solenoid and the car has had the mini starter on there for a while. I must have damaged some wire when I was tightening the belt. Now that I know its the brown wire I think I can track it down. Is there any chance that it could have a problem in the key switch?

Have you tried putting a jumper from the + battery to + coil just long enough to see if it fires up? In putting this jumper on I would make sure that the original wires on the + coil terminal are disconnected so you don't

feed voltage back to the ignition switch and solenoid just for safety reasons. This will tell you one of two things if it does fire up you probably have a wire, or switch problem if it does not then you would probably have a problem with the coil or distributor.