Sign in to follow this  
MustangGT

Folddown seat panel install

I am putting in the panels getting ready to install the folddown and the AMK interior screw kit comes with 8 (or so) rivets - 2 different sizes. When I pulled the interior out there weren't any rivets. Anyone know where these go (pics of course would be welcomed)? I looked in the body manual but it references the interior trim assembly manual which isn't available for '69. Looking at the rear fiberglass pieces I have a rough idea but don't want to start popping rivets all over the place and then find out I guessed wrong. Rivets don't allow for do-overs.

When the trap door is closed, look behind it and you'll see where it rest on top of each side panel and the horizontal panel below the rear window. Thats where I put the rivets to hold those panelsl on the body. I assume that FORD, didn't want screw heads sticking up hitting the trap door. The rivets lie flatter.

Maybe someone else here has a different opinion.

Is that the AMK interior screw set or their fold down seat screw set? I have the FDS set and it didn't include any such rivets. I saw the tiny holes in my rear most f/glass side panels and was wondering what went there.

Its too bad there isn't more detailed documentation on the 69-70 FDS setup. All the illustrations I see in the exploded view and Osborn manuals are revamped 65-68 models that have a modified view that have added the 69-70 parts.

I have never seen any trim panels associated with a 65 - 70 mustang fold down seat that required rivets to hold it in place. If you use those rivets to secure any of the fiberglass panels, I assure you that you will crack or break them.

The bumpers at the opening of the rear trap door keep the trap door far and away from the screw head to give you plenty of room to use about any screw you prefer. I actually use a pan head trim screw with a rubber washer underneath so I don't risk breaking the old fiberglass.

I don't know everything there is to know about fold seats or trim for that matter. Its a good possibility you got a kit for something other than a mustang.

Got pics of the rivets? When we had to install rivets in fiberglass they were special soft rivets that still needed to be installed with care. And obviously, once riveted in the panels were in to stay unless you drilled the rivets out.

My car had one of those panels that closed the opening sort of where the trap door goes and it was riveted in. I think it was just for safety to keep

gasoline from entering the passenger compartment in the event of a rear end collision. I don't know if this was totally after market or if it was original to some cars.

The rivets are from the AMK interior kit - the bag is marked Qter Trim Panels - Body 63 (F-2140). I don't have my digital ATM but will post some tomorrow. Looking at video on line (with a '67) there are some rivets that hold the fiberglass panel on the frame that the trap door sits. Looking at the holes on the sides and top there is a spot for them. But like I said in the first post I am not sure.