Sign in to follow this  
metalgraver

Floor Pan

Hello every one, I would like to thank every one for there input on replacing the front suspension. I have a question about the floor pans. I took my car into a reputable shop to have the floor pans and cowling replaced. I recently got the car back and was under the car this last weekend to look at the work and noticed that where the floor pan sits on top of the front rail there were gaps. There were a few spot welds but there was no welds running the length of the rail. It seems to me that these gaps would trap dirt and road junk to the point that it would start rusting out again. Iam I wrong in thinking that the shop short cut the job ? Does any one have a picture of the front rails on there car so that I can see if Iam wrong or right? I paid these guys a lot of money to replace the floor and thought I would get a top quality job.

The floor does not typically get a weld bead down the edge of the floor support(frame rail extension). It sounds like they could have done a better job of drawing the two pieces together to close the gap, though. I imagine you can force the gap to close up a little more and tack it in place possibly. Hopefully, they painted the interior surfaces that are not accessible to prevent rust from occurring again. I imagine you can use seam sealer to keep dirt and water out.

Hello every one, I would like to thank every one for there input on replacing the front suspension. I have a question about the floor pans. I took my car into a reputable shop to have the floor pans and cowling replaced. I recently got the car back and was under the car this last weekend to look at the work and noticed that where the floor pan sits on top of the front rail there were gaps. There were a few spot welds but there was no welds running the length of the rail. It seems to me that these gaps would trap dirt and road junk to the point that it would start rusting out again. Iam I wrong in thinking that the shop short cut the job ? Does any one have a picture of the front rails on there car so that I can see if Iam wrong or right? I paid these guys a lot of money to replace the floor and thought I would get a top quality job.

Did you have the 1 piece floor pan installed or cut out and the patches installed. If it is the 1 piece, it is a pain sometime to get it to sit down on the frame rail extensions and the cross member too. I had to do a lot of massaging, bending and clamping everywhere I could to get mine to set down right. Then when plug welding the pan if you are not careful it will

cause it to kick up somewhere else too. Did you say you had the cowl replaced also? If so did you get the windshield stops off you old cowl?

Just thought I would mention because they are easy overlooked.