Sign in to follow this  
white69mach1

upgrade factory disc or add rack and pinnion

I'm a fan of the safety of stopping well. But that's just me. The brakes are always first whenever I start restoring an old car. There is no point in other improving performance in other areas if you can't control it all with the brakes... like I said, just my opinion. I'm not sure if rack and pinion qualify really in the same way, though, compared to HP boosting upgrades.

The factory discs weren't that bad IMO. The factory power steering however....

+1

There is nothing wrong with the factory discs for a street car, perhaps if you had planned on autocrossing it an upgrade would be in order. Myself, I couldn't wait to ditch the sloppy power steering!

Edited by chillininnh

I converted to factory disc and installed a rack. I couldn't be happier the way the car drives with the old power steering gone. I put all of the original stuff in a storage box and it still leaks and handles like crap.

Jim

If you can lock up the front wheels with factory brakes, what is the advantage of upgrading them in a street car? If you upgrade, you might be able to lock the front tires quicker, and maybe with less pedal effort.

I have factory power discs in my daily driver, and went with the rack change. Steering now is a huge improvement.

Most if not all racks bolt in place of the original cross member I believe. I love the simplicity and road feel of the TCP manual rack. I never have to worry about it leaking, guaranteed!! It's high effort in parking lots but going down the road it is delightful.