Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

How do you take the interior clutch spring off

See picture below taken off the Internet.

I have a stock Diaphram 2200-2500 11" pressure plate. I have no problem with the movement of the clutch assembly or the pedal bushing. The problem is when I go to release my foot off of the clutch pedal, the pedal always wants to jump up because of the return spring.

So, evertime I shift the left leg is flying up. This makes it hard to adjust the clutch and when stopped at a light.

I see in the picture that the one end of the spring pops off but how about the other end which is too high on the pedal for me to see how it comes off.

Now, I've read that it's very hard to get the spring back on and that sometimes leave well enough alone.

I also read that if I do have the Diapram PP, I should remove the spring.

What to do and how to do it?

0604_mump_15z1969_ford_mustangclutch_return_spring_zps2806fa84.jpg

Edited by prayers1
Adding Picture

I see now how it's attached. Thank you!

Today I tried for a good long time trying to get it to budge, no luck. It is way up high and very hard to get ones arms up there. I posted this on VMF as well and someone said, try using zip ties to compress the spring. I'm thinking of trying that and using a long screw driver to pry it out.

Pretty tough for a 44 year old part!!!

Any other suggestions?

Its a pretty beefy spring, I doubt a zip tie will compress it nor will a hose clamp. I'd just unhook the clutch pedal and remove the pedal first. It isn't hard to remove the clutch pedal and is easier to access than a power brake pedal.

Buening- Are you saying as suggested from another site.

"Remove the retainer from the right end of the pedal shaft. Disconnect the pushrod. Grip the pedal firmly with both hands, work the pedal to the left, until the pedal clears the up-limit stop. Slowly rasie the pedal toward the steering wheel until the spring falls out"

Is it easier then it sounds? What is the up-limit stop. Is it seen in the 1st photo.

Thanks!

I got the 1st photo from Mustang Monthly http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_0604_ford_mustang_pedals/photo_04.html#photo_14.html?&_suid=137942320654606269229032358439

When I wiggle the clutch pedal away to allow the spring to fall. Would it be a good time to replace the pedal shaft bushings, or do you have to dismantle the whole thing which I don't want to do right now.

The uplimit stop is the rubber bumper that the pedal arm typically has that contacts the pedal hanger to prevent the pedal from going up higher. It is on the same pedal arm/lever as the spring attaches to, just on the opposite end of the arm. It shouldn't be hard to do.

Depends on how the bushings look. The clutch pedal has aluminum bushings built into the pedal hanger, but I think they still use the plastic bushings that the brake pedal also uses. The aluminum bushings are a pain to replace when its installed in the car.

Thanks for being here. I'm so glad we were on at the same time!!!! Nothing like instant information.

OK, I'll go one step at a time. I recently got the car back from the Bodyshop, I plan on dropping it off to get the windshields in, then drive it home. I just want to make sure I can drive it home without any incidence.

Thank you again!

Edited by prayers1

When I wiggle the clutch pedal away to allow the spring to fall. Would it be a good time to replace the pedal shaft bushings, or do you have to dismantle the whole thing which I don't want to do right now.

I put in a Centerforce Diaphram clutch in my car 2 summers ago ... I also thought I could just get that spring out without removing the support.

But when I finally got under the dash to do it, I noticed one of the pot-metal bushings that supports the clutch pedal shaft was cracked. This WAS a vigin automatic support that I swapped in back in the 80's along with a replacment shaft & new plastic bushings so maybe 20k miles on basically NEW parts and it was JUNK again. So yes, I realized the whole support had to come out to fix it so there was no need to try and get that spring out with support still in the car.

I ended up replacing the bushings with Steve's Mustangs "Ball Bearing" conversion kit. The Scott Drake "Roller Bearing" kit requires a perfect shaft as the roller bearings ride on the shaft (they have kits with & w/o a new shaft). My shaft was not perfect, and since I replaced it back in the 80's the replacement shaft was welded in which would have been much more difficult to R&R than one that had not been replaced before. The ball bearings in Steve's kit have an inner race, so the shaft does not need to be perfect ... a little polishing with emory cloth and the bearing races slid over and fit with no play. If your shaft is real bad, you will likely need to replace it with either kit.

So basically my recommendation is to NOT mess with that spring until you have the time to completely remove and rebuild your pedal support.

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me

Well I was able to get the spring out but not with out a fight.

I did as sugested, I removed the pedal shaft retainer and wiggled the clutch pedal until it moved about an inch or so to the left. I was told that while doing this, to lift up on the clutch pedal and that the spring should fall out. It didn't and I was afraid to pull the shaft out too far infear that the bushings would fall out in pieces, as suggested by others. After this I found that the plastic/nylon bushings were in good shape.

Since the dash board and pad were off, I was able to get a long screw driver from the top and pry the bottom of the spring until it poped off. Before putting it all back together, I greased bushings and shaft. The clutch pedal now has more feel through out its travel.

Edited by prayers1