Sign in to follow this  
70Mach03

Quick coil spring question??????

I've got a young friend who has a 1965 Mustang Coup that was originally a 6-cylinder car. They recently replaced the old tired inline six with a 351W-4V but it has the original front coil springs. I've got an extra set of front coil springs from my 1970 351C Mach 1. Question is will my extra set of coils fit into the 1965 Mustang? I know normally 67 to 70 springs are interchangeable but was sure about 65-66's. I think the shocks are interchangeable also and am giving them a nearly new set of KYB's to help out.

Trying to find out if my springs and shocks can help them out. Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

I dont think they will but am not 100%. I know generally there are very few parts from a 66 that can go on a 69-70. The only stuff I can think of off hand is the exterior door handles and the rear quarter panel ash trays but I believe they are only on early production 69's. Everything I see online for the springs shows different part numbers for the set of years, 64 1/2 - 66 and then 67 - 70. Not sure what the actual difference is, but my guess would be the size as 64 1/4 - 66 mustang are quit a bit smaller. You could probably compare them to yours when you get them off and see. If its just a length thing you could cut them down, if its diameter you are probably out of luck.

You can usually answer questions like this by looking in the parts catalogs and see how they list em.

Even if the were somewhat interchangeable, I would use this as an opportunity to buy aftermarket springs with exactly the rate you want. The springs are not very expensive.

You can usually answer questions like this by looking in the parts catalogs and see how they list em.

Even if the were somewhat interchangeable, I would use this as an opportunity to buy aftermarket springs with exactly the rate you want. The springs are not very expensive.

Bob, I checked a few catalogs/on-line and most list the 65-66 separately from the 67-70 models. A few just say 65-70 while others even break them out by year and with AC, Auto, PS, and etc. The springs are a set of 1†lowered progressive springs for my ’70 Cleveland powered Mach 1. I tried them for a short time but my car actually sat higher and the ride was too bouncy so I went back to my original 1†cut stock strings. I like the stance and it seems to handle better.

Like I said, the ’65 was a 6-banger that they’ve dropped a 351W-4V into. It’s still got the six cylinder springs and could use some help. They “bottomed†it out on a dip and crunched the oil pan and oil pump pickup. The owner uses the car for rallies around the country and travels thousands of miles to them. Me, I’m afraid to drive mine more than 200 miles away (LOL).

936936_4873272555898_1093593911_n.jpg

The owner is the blond.

405682_4873273395919_1554793167_n.jpg

Her “pink†351C-4V motor.

Her facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TeamMustangGirls

I'm just trying to help a poor little gal out. (LOL)