Sign in to follow this  
kenbrackins

Champion Aluminum Radiator for BB Question

I ordered a Champion Radiator model CC379 which said it was for 67-70 Mustang with big block. Looked great but when I went to install it, the lower neck was resting on the "frame" unibody support? (not sure what you call that) That raises it so high that you couldn't even close the hood. Anyway, the original radiator's lower neck measures 7 3/4" from the edge or radiator to center of neck (not the fin where shroud bolts to) and the Champion measures 6 1/4" from the edge. If the neck was over to the original distance it would fit. Did the wrong radiator get sent? Was it a mfg mistake? Does anyone else have this radiator? Also what top support would you use with the aluminum radiator as it is thicker than the original. Thanks for any insight!

I ordered a Champion Radiator model CC379 which said it was for 67-70 Mustang with big block. Looked great but when I went to install it, the lower neck was resting on the "frame" unibody support? (not sure what you call that) That raises it so high that you couldn't even close the hood. Anyway, the original radiator's lower neck measures 7 3/4" from the edge or radiator to center of neck (not the fin where shroud bolts to) and the Champion measures 6 1/4" from the edge. If the neck was over to the original distance it would fit. Did the wrong radiator get sent? Was it a mfg mistake? Does anyone else have this radiator? Also what top support would you use with the aluminum radiator as it is thicker than the original. Thanks for any insight!

ill need to go back and look at my order, but i have a 3 row champion radiator and it does not center within the top clamp/rubber grommets .. i had to slide it over a bit towards the driver side to clear the strut rod support .. but so far its cooling great ... doesn't get over 180 degrees at idle for an extended amount of time... haven't driven it more than a 100 yards yet...

Well, you have just be Championed!!!! From what I have read on multiple forums the Champion radiators either fit or they don't and it's about a 50/50 thing. It's possible they sent you the wrong one so check into that. If I were you thought and you wanted aluminum then I would go with a Griffin radiator. if copper is fine for you then contact US Radiator and they have HE three or four row radiators. They are the only one's that I can find who make copper radiators right here in the USA. All other copper rads are over seas junk. B.

I have a Champion MC340 in my 69 351W Mach and it fits perfectly. It's 4 row and rated for 650hp. I started out with a Griffin but found upon receiving it that the stock shroud would not fit. It was close but NO cigar. Griffin says 'Direct Fit' and that may be true but my shroud didn't fit anymore! If you have a 351 the MC340 should go right in. It's a 20" wide radiator and definitely keep the engine running cool.