Sign in to follow this  
bomccorkle

header fitment....

I just found a pair of headers for a 302/4 speed for about half of nothing. I plan to run a 302/aod and in my thinking I couldn't see why they wouldn't work but was hoping maybe someone would have a bit of foresight? I don't rest want to spend any money on anything that just won't work so if anyone has a heads up please feel free

Since no replies yet, if I you I'd go to the header website and see if they fit with the aod. As you may know, many times same engine/ header vary with the trans fit.

Bob

If they are long tubes (4into1 or tri-y) they won't clear the AOD. I had this problem when I fitted an AOD to an Aussie Falcon with 1-7/8 inch 4 into 1 long tubes. The transmission pan is wider than a 4 speed and the pipes cut in close to the transmission. If the headers are tri-y's the rear sections can be modified to clear.

If they dont fit, just heat and bend lol.

A friend was running hooker headers that hung low and his car was dropped....He hit a 3 Way ball on the interstate and it bent the passanger side header up about 1" while almost tearing the collector bolt area off....We were looking for a reason to have ball flanges put on them any how now we had a good reason....

We have tried to manually bend the headers up while on the car a bit, but they are too strong and will require heat...

Yes my only concern is in looking at the application charts it says fits c-4 only. Is an aod that much wider. And also the car is lowered (not sure how much yet waiting to put the engine in) but I did the asking drop and cut a full coil up front. Are there clearance issues with full length headers or is it about the same running shorties after you get the pipe down there

From memory the AOD is about 2 inches wider at the pan and the pan is longer than a C4. The headers I had were hard up against the transmission pan and the shift linkage was sitting between the LH pipes. Mine were 4 into 1's with 3 inch collectors located just behind the crossmember. If the headers you are looking at have the collector/flange around the bell housing area they should"t need any mods to fit but the section beside the gearbox may need to be modified when you fit the AOD.