Sign in to follow this  
MustangChuck

Please help identify this steering column

I bought a steering column off fleaBay recently, through a third party (not the owner of the column). He originally told me it was a 69 Cougar column, but with the key in the column, I knew it was a 70 or newer. I have read that the 70 column is unique and that I will need an ignition switch specifically for the 70. I just want to make sure the column I have is really a 70 and not a 71-73 column with a 69 mounting plate bolted to it.

Attached are the pictures.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Chuck

That ignition switch looks just like a 70 Mustang switch, IIRC. Not clue if they are the same across all models, but they weren't being reproduced years ago. Maybe they are now?

Well, according to both the O'Reilly and AutoZone websites, I can get something that will work for a 1970 Mustang for about $25. The pictures are very similar to the one currently bolted to the column. Mustangs Unlimited has them for $75. The kicker seems to be the turn signal switch. I haven't found a complete assembly for a 70 at any place other than Mustangs Unlimited and they want about $115 for theirs. :angry:

Next question. Are the ignition switch plugs and pinouts the same between the 1969 and the 1970 Mustangs? This column is going into my 69 as part of a rack-and-pinion upgrade (didn't want to cut my original plus it frees a spot on the dash for a USB connection).

Thanks,

Chuck

Nope, completely different ignition pinouts between the 69 and 70. You might be able to splice a 70 connector onto the 69 harness (or make a jumper somehow), but look into the wiring diagrams first.

BTW I'm almost positive that is a 70 mustang column based on that ignition switch. I'd need to see the lower portion of the column to make sure.

Ford interchanged some parts on these cars when they were identical, and I think the upper column housing was one of them.

Nope, completely different ignition pinouts between the 69 and 70. You might be able to splice a 70 connector onto the 69 harness (or make a jumper somehow), but look into the wiring diagrams first.

That's what I was afraid of.... No real biggy, though. There isn't a lick of wiring in the car now. Just need to know what to get when the time comes. Probably will end up talking with Midlife about it.

Attached are more pictures of the column. It is missing the slip shaft and rag joint. I have not gotten the rest of the shaft out yet due to a lack of snap ring pliers (to be remedied tomorrow).

Chuck