Sign in to follow this  
kenbrackins

OH NO! Speedometer drive gear missing

I replaced my speedo cable because it had gotten burnt on a header. The cable was frozen inside the casing but the gear on the cable was in excellent condition. I stuck my finger in the transmission hole and felt a smooth round thing in there. I looked inside there and didn't see any plastic gear that would run the speedo gear. Where would it be? Will it cause damage if its floating around in there? (probably been off for a long time) What is involved with replacing that drive gear? Thank you for looking!

My speedo drive gear was worn down to nothing, so I replaced it when I rebuilt my toploader. If 4spd toploader is in the car, might be easiest to disconnect your shifter linkage (bolts onto the tail section of tranny) before removing the tail section. Oh, and don't forget about that driveshaft (good time to replace the tail section rear seal while you're in there!). The snap rings around the speedo gear can sometimes be a PITA so make sure you have the proper snap ring pliers

I did mine yesterday, took about two hours but I did need to drop the rear exhaust hangers to allow room between the floor and the exhaust to allow the toploader extension housing to come right back. I also did a bush and seal in the extension housing whilst I had it off.