Sign in to follow this  

shorting out

Hey fellas, so I've got a strange problem with my mustang. Occasionally when I go to start it all amperage drops out, I can tell cuz the starter starts to die out, and I get a puff of smoke from the engine compartment. It's happened 3 times and the harness that plugs into the alternator harness has melting namely the black with red wire. My question is, where does that wire go to, I've looked in the wiring diagram but can't make heads or tails of it. Also can I replace that harness? My car is a 69 coupe with an frpp high torque starter and a new alternator. Thoughts

IIRC, the black/red is the ground wire from the alt to the voltage reg base.

As for the puff of smoke, I would check your ground wire from the batt to the block.

Try flexing it and listen for crackling sounds, Sure sign of needing to replace it, As your having a high loss of ground at start up.

IIRC, the black/red is the ground wire from the alt to the voltage reg base.

As for the puff of smoke, I would check your ground wire from the batt to the block.

Try flexing it and listen for crackling sounds, Sure sign of needing to replace it, As your having a high loss of ground at start up.

Exactly. I'll bet the ground strap at the back of the block to the firewall is missing or corroded. B.

right on guys! i'll check on those and make sure were good. also, is there a company that makes the alternator to body harness? mines all melted..