Sign in to follow this  
garyhjerpe

Strut Rod Bracket location

I'm working on a Mach One in a box project, body shop is done with chassis rewelding& paint & has rear suspension back together already. Strut rod brackets were removed before I got it. How do you locate the brackets before welding them in place? I can't find dimensions anywhere & it just seems wrong to use the front end to locate the brackets. Ordered new strut rods too as they don't match. LH is VERY odd, didn't match a single one at the Mustang Shop out in Chandler. Looked at three cars on their racks, all had the brackets in slightly different locations. How can that be?

I truly believe the factory installed them in a general location. My left and right locations are not symmetrical. I could have eye balled them and gotten them closer.

Bob

thanks for the frame detail sketch, it helps. Looked at three different 1968-70 cars on the lifts at Mustang Shop in Chandler, all three had bracket locations in different spots. None were lined up evenly across bottom of core support. All were Close, none even, but none were the same. Found that the rear control arm bolt location C/L to C/L of bushing pocket in brackets was always around 21". Seems rather imprecise way to control a critical segment of steering geometry...

BTW- Finding the location was exacerbated by the fact that the strut rods themselves are totally different, and the LH rod, while appearing to be straight, would never fit. Bought a new set (no, they don't match the old ones!) and it looks like these will enable the tech to weld the brackets back in place. Still, IMHO, using moveable front suspension parts to locate fixed bracketry is an imprecise method of attaching critical parts...