Sign in to follow this  
Rick106

1969 Mach 1 and TKO600

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum so please be gentle ;). i'm considering buying a 1969 Mach 1 M code which currently has a 429 cobra jet engine installed.

It is a C6 auto, but I really want a manual box. I'm looking at dropping in a TKO 600 Tremec.

Are the 1969 tunnels large enough to accommodate the TKO 600? Is there anything else I should be considering as part of this modification?

Cheers,

Rich

Tunnel raising will be required to get the proper pinion angles. Some will claim they have done it without cutting but I am sure they have serious vibrations, short ujoint less or worse in the future. You can drop the engine some which helps but with a big block your options are limited.

Not a direct comparison but I setup a Tremec 3550 in my Coupe behind a 302/347 and had no clearance issues. Shifter lines up etc fine. I only have it mocked with the stock bell house and haven't tried the McLeod scatter shield mockup yet but shouldn't matter. I modified an existing trans mount to work. Not sure how much different the 600 is vs the original 3550 26 spline like mine on the outside.

Personally I think the biggest challenge used to be finding the pedal setup but now there are repo clutch pedals I guess. Complete TKO kits are awful pricey IMHO though but maybe that's not an issue. I'd do a hydraulic clutch kit for sure as well.

I'm sure there are others that have already done this here so they can add first hand experience.

Stephen

Tunnel raising will be required to get the proper pinion angles. Some will claim they have done it without cutting but I am sure they have serious vibrations, short ujoint less or worse in the future. You can drop the engine some which helps but with a big block your options are limited.

I did not do any cutting on mine. I used modern driveline's cross member., and the Ron morris lowering engine mounts. I was actually able to shim the trans mount almost an inch to tuck it up nice and neat in the tunnel. I have about 3/8 of a inch clearance at the tightest spot.

I have not check my angles, but I do not have any vibrations and it's been in a while without u joint wear.

Keep in mind, this was with a 302, not a 428 though.

Ask Bruce at modern driveline. He will give you a no doubt 100% answer. They are very knowledgeable there and can get you everything you need for your kit.

---- For shits and giggles, where do I need to measure to check this? I am curious now, and I actually have the car up off the ground and have finally bough and angle finder.

Mine has a 460 which is dimensionally the same as a 429 and I had to raise my tunnel 1.75 inches to get correct driveline angles with the TKO. That was with the MPG mounts that place the engine lower in the car. IMHO there is no way to get good angles without raising it. Thats with a 429/460.

If you have a 428CJ, I have no idea. Totally different animal.

I have the Keisler TKO conversion kit in my 70. With stock motor mounts height and with the Keisler transmission mount, the trans cross member needs to be trimmed as shown on the attached instructions. From my experience, there is no structural compromise when using a strong well design trans mount. My Mach1 has had the TKO in it for 2 years and no problem. Keisler has sold probably 10's of thousands of there kits for 65-70 mustangs and I have never heard on one problem caused by an incorrect drive shaft angle with their setup.

keislertransmod107162013_zps358f0a2f.jpg[/img]