Sign in to follow this  
mattwash08

Time for a motor rebuild... Suggestions??

Motor on my 69 mustang fastback took a crap. Started running really rough. Lifter springs were warped upon inspection. Replaced those & still couldn't get good compression. Going to do a full rebuild. Not motor savvy though so I would like some input/suggestions. This is a budget rebuild though, so I don't have $$ for Aluminum heads, etc. at the moment.....

Current motor specs(as stated from previous owner, was supposedly rebuilt in 2001)

-302 block bored .030 over

-new PAW flat top pistons(new rings & bearings) for about 10.5 to 1 Compression

-Ported exhausted openings on heads

-new water pump

-new timing chain

-new high volume oil pump

-roller tipped rockers

-performer rpm intake

-Edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb

-Crane Fireball II 290H cam(216* @ .050 and .484 lift, intake and exhaust)

Car is running a T5 five speed now. 3.80 gears & a Auburn posi

Any input is greatly appreciated. I want an aggressive lopey idle.. Dont know if I should change the cam or anything else components wise!

Thanks, Matt

What kind of compression readings you been getting? All plugs in or out? I believe you may bent a valve or 2. What revs has the motor been to? Did the motor ever overheat?

Not sure what the compression reading were, I was getting the info relayed to me from my father since Ive been away at school. Motor was never really revved past 5500rpm I dont think. Motor may have gotten a little warm after it started running really rough I think... but it never overheated. I was in the middle of a 40 mile drive at the time so I limped it home. It seems to start up alright, but as soon as it harms up t runs very very rough

If you want to do a true budget rebuild then tear it down and replace the rings, bearings, gaskets and anything that's worn. It's not a bad little combo, but I'd change the intake to a Edelbrock Performer (idle -5500rpm) and get the matching cam and lifters. Your heads probably still have pressed in rocker arm studs, so that limits your max rpm and cam selection. Max lift for stock springs I think are around .480. If you go with a higher lift cam and sustain high Rpms the studs could back out.

Another option is to find a Ford 5.0 roller motor that's running and swap it in your car. Stock ones are good for about 225HP & 300ftlbs TQ. It may be a little more once you add your intake manifold, Carb and exhaust.

Good luck!

Yeah you can hit the junk yards and just find a runner and swap it out....If your really good you can get one that already has the serp belt system on it and then you have a free serp kit.....

Motor from oil pan to carburetor around here usually goes from 500-700 bucks running.