Sign in to follow this  
Kiwi_Mustang

Thoughts on this 69

Well a while ago I met a bloke who I won a few items off Ebay from (actually quite a while ago now when I think about it) it's turned into a great friendship even with the few 1000 miles between us,

He had a 69 Mustang in the bottom shed which he had owned since about 1992.

When he bought it he was teaching at a varsity, well the autoshop rebuilt the motor (302W), usual things cam, forged pistons, 4bbl and AFB manifold, hardened valve seats for unleaded gas etc, fitted swaybars front and rear, new KYB gas shocks, and all suspension joints replaced.

He latter replaced all the carpet and underlay, new weather strips and shortly after dragging it out of the bottom shed fitted a new fuel tank and replaced the module in the distributor after letting the smoke out of it when he was trying to start it. There's a new hood lining, trim parts and radiator in the trunk just waiting to be fitted.

He has been getting it ready for sale but has really lost interest in it, which is where I step in.

I wouldn't call it collectible as it started life as a 200CI 6 Cyl (1V) with C4 auto, painted meadowlark yellow. It still has the 6cyl drum brakes and the body is starting to show a few rust bubbles, each corner of the doors outer skin, and the front and back corners of the rear wheel arch.......so compared to some I see on here it's pretty good.

When I asked him what he wanted for it I looked at him and said "sold" he turned around and said but you haven't heard it run, I replied you told me it runs and sounds good what more do I need. So I ended up owning a 69 Mustang......what do you think a fair price would've been? I think I got it pretty cheap but I paid what he asked for it.

This is a pic of the Mustang after it was pulled from the bottom shed.......Kiwi

picture.php?albumid=225&pictureid=1704

Edited by Kiwi_Mustang

Well, you know what they say, it's worth exactly what someone will pay you for it. :clown: Sure, it's a converted 6-cylinder car with some blemishes but I kinda like it. Sportsroofs are always great, even a small block 302, and it's refreshing to see one that's survived with the original hubcaps and clean lines without the addition of hood scoops, spoilers, slats and stripes trying to emulate a Mach I or Boss car. I'd clean it up, fix it, up and enjoy the heck out of it.

When I was a teenager there was a local businessman where I lived that had a 70 Boss 302, from memory it was painted Bright Gold Metallic and had the shaker scoop, slats and rear spoiler. While Mustangs may have been common in the US they weren't very common in New Zealand. After seeing that Mustang and listening to the V8 rumble........I wanted one........just could never afford one.........then along comes this '69 sportroof.:thumbup:

While the engine runs great and with the existing pipes fitted to it........its LOUD. It needed a bit of fluid in the trans to stop it slipping, the brakes may need some work to stop the pulling......but for 6 1/2k I think it's a bargain.

As I said there's a bit of rust showing in the doors, rear guards and a wee bit in the drivers floor pan.

I've been contemplating what I will do with it, original ride, brakes and steering doesn't do anything for me......the looks of a 69 are awesome.

Perhaps TCP coil over front & rear, power brakes with Baer disc brakes all round, electronic 4 spd auto. I have even contemplated a bogus boss 302, afterall I've got a mint set of 302 Cleveland heads sitting on the shelf (actually had these for 20 years waiting on a 302 Windsor block) Efi instead of 4bbl carb.

I know the starting point is to get rid of all the cancer now while there isn't much of it.

you might also want to look at the stuff from rrs:

http://www.rrs-online.com.au/

i think their stuff is really cool unless you got regulations like in europe and shipping might be cheaper as well :-D

by the way, chip foose used their stuff on his overhauling mustangs

I looked at RRS but it had some disadvantages, I can't use the Baer brakes I want to use and the cost of shipping from Australia is prohibitive compared to what I can get stuff shipped out of the US for.

The cost of shipping from the US helps when I can get anything sent to Ca and have it land in my home town for a real good price. It cost NZ$80.00 to get a 9" diff shipped from Ca to New Zealand.

Now I've got a 57 Ford 9" rear end with a width of 52 1/4", 2" narrower than the original 69 rear end........this will mean an extra inch of offset for the rear wheels.

6,500 is a steal...at least where I am. It would sell for at least double that here.

By the time I landed it in New Zealand it owed me just under NZ$16k (US$11k) and I could've sold it for NZ$30k (someone wanted it to rebody a rusted out Boss 302)

I figured I'd never get another 69 as tidy as this one so kept it.

G'day Kiwi

How much did you pay for the 57 9" if you don't mind me asking

2" extra offset is perfect for a 69

I have just ordered the tcp coil over front and gbar rear waiting on delivery

Also the RRS rack isn't as good as the Tcp , I had a close look at the rrs and compared both plus it was cheaper to ship the tcp than buy the rrs from here

G'day Kiwi

How much did you pay for the 57 9" if you don't mind me asking

2" extra offset is perfect for a 69

I have just ordered the tcp coil over front and gbar rear waiting on delivery

Also the RRS rack isn't as good as the Tcp , I had a close look at the rrs and compared both plus it was cheaper to ship the tcp than buy the rrs from here

I managed to pick up the 57 9" for US$480 landed in Ca, cost me another $80.00 to ship it to New Zealand:balloon: doesn't get better than that.