Sign in to follow this  
cavboy78

70 Tilt steering column

I either need to get leg reduction surgery or figure out a way to get a tilt steering column in my 70. I've done some research and see two routes to go.

1) Buy an original and install (but can be pricey from what I've seen)

2) Go aftermarket. The only aftermarket system I have seen is the flaming river (FR3001) that has the key cylinder in the column.

Am I missing an option? If someone has done the FR column, do you have any feedback? I see they are splined for GM and believe the wiring harness does not match exactly. Not sure how the rest of the install is...

I'm deploying (Army) at the end of the year and do not want to have the car out of commission for very long so I can enjoy her while I can. Thanks for the help!

I don't either, but the ididit is only for '69 style where the key cylinder is located on the lower dash instead of the column itself. I could relocate my switch to the lower dash, but I really don't want to.

I had Ididit build me a tilt column. I sent them the column out of the car and they built me a 70 tilt. It has a Ford shaft (stock wheel fits) and Ford wiring. The only problem was the ignition switch, all they offered was the GM key, so I moved the ignition to the dash where the lighter was, and installed a 69 ignition switch. Give Ididit a call.

I believe they have aftermarket columns with keys in the column, but they are GM keys and doubtful a ford key cylinder would fit. They are also pretty pricey.

Look into the Lincolns, I think MikeTyler did his tilt from a 71 Lincoln tilt column and it is nearly identical. It still isn't a cheap swap, but better than the not-worn-out $1k an original mustang 70-only tilt column typically sells for.

Yeah what these guys said above. :thumbup1:

I too shoe horn my ass in the seat without tilt. I did the research and came to the same conclusions you did and have done none of them yet so I am not an expert. Three options either find a used column out of a 70 mustang/cougar, go with a aftermarket but put the key on the dash (since they make a 69/70 but really only a 69 for the concours type guy), or go with a gm model that has the key on the column but needs an adapter for the steering wheel since they don't bolt up either.

I keep a look out for that elusive cheap used one that I can redo, other than that the options don't make sense for me just yet financially or aesthetically.

Thanks for the help. I am currently using my cigarette lighter for my manual choke, but I can relocate for the ignition key, if necessary. 7t, I'm assuming the ignition switch fits in the cigarette lighter opening?

Next question/statement for now...If I use a 69 column, I'm assuming my mounting/bracketry to the lower dash will be different than what I am currently using.

Next step, I will give Ididit a call and see what they can do for me on this.

Restomod, My folks live up in Sodus and I'm up in Watertown. We'll need to meet up at some point this summer!

Edited by cavboy78

Definitely, I see you on the NYM forums too. I will go out on a limb and guess Cav scout at Drum. One of my good friends was Cav with the NG unit out of Geneva, did a tour overseas. Ironically I joined as RA and never went out of CONUS spent 6 years at Bragg but I went in as a 95B-P.

To answer your question I don't think there is much difference between the 69 and 70 column other than the key location so mounting would be the same even with a used unit. And the aftermarket guys market all of their's as 69-70 even though it is a 69 technically I think they say that becasue all the mounting is the same for the rest of it.

I think if you wanted to you bolt the 69 on and change the wiring from your old column and re-route it to the lighter or wiper? I think those holes are all the same on the dash from 69 to 70, although I have an electric choke on my carb so I would probably use the lighter spot for the key.

The column diameters are different between the two years, so you introduce a number of differences when swapping columns.

I believe the bracket that bolts the column to the lower dash is different on a 69 than a 70.

69:

$(KGrHqFHJE!FE3uUUq-tBRdWDQLD4g~~60_12.JPG

70:

$T2eC16hHJG!E9nm3sBtZBQ+(+yHIGQ~~60_57.JPG

You will also need a new lower dash/column trim piece, as they were different between the years:

69:

$T2eC16NHJGYFFkmj8cVfBRpS77RO3g~~60_3.JPG

70:

$(KGrHqJ,!g4E6ZKEV7CDBOtejlK!Kw~~60_12.JPG

Finally, some kind of adapter harness or splicing would be needed for the ignition switch. In 70 the ignition switch was mounted on the column, whereas in 69 it was in the dash. The connectors are completely different, so you'd need a piggyback jumper from the stock 70 dash connector to the 69 dash ignition switch connector.

1st - You need everything for a 69 ignition setup, the switch is a 2 piece deal, the key switch and the part that the key switch fits into, wire harness, bezel and spacer, and the part that fits behind the dash. You'll have to enlarge the lighter hole some. I did a lot to my car last year, and the ignition switch relocation was the worst. The column swap was breeze. There must be a difference in the wiring from 69 to 70, most of the wires match up in the color code. Once I had everything hooked up the car would start but when you released the key to the run position it would cut off. We had to add a hot wire to the coil, Runs good now, and I do like the key in the dash, feels more like the old muscle car to me when you start it. Would I do it again, hell no! I would let Ididit build it with the Ford shaft and Ford wiring and go with the push button start or live with the GM key setup in the column. Good Luck

If you want to do some work you can adapt a later model tilt column to your '70. I used a tilt column out of a '75 Galaxy. Good points-- the column bracket was exactly the same as my '70, it uses a Ford key. Bad points--you will have to connect the new column's wires with your '70s, it uses a different ignition switch than the '70s, I was installing a TCP rack and pinion at the same time and therefore had to shorten and install the new bearing retainer on the end of the column. I also had to remove and fill in the hole left by removing the shifter (donar was an automatic) and trim the plastic collar. I wanted to use my stock '70 ignition switch so I modified the new column to accept the old switch (had to weld in some studs to hold the switch in correct position. This is not an easy install but I does work. Here's some pics.

p5220036s.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

p5290002.jpg

p5290003.jpg

p5290006u.jpg

Thanks for the input everyone. 7t, appreciate the candid advice about the conversion. Cruzzar, as always, top-notch work. My time is fairly short before I deploy and, like I said, don't want the car down for too long (as I just recently got her up and running again). I think I might save this project for when I return and just drive/enjoy it for now.