Sign in to follow this  
Kris

69 convertible center reinforcement plate ?

I have a 69 vert I am in the process of restoring and have been replacing the floor pans. I am to the point where I am going under the car now to finish and clean the tunnel. My car is extremely solid and has perfect torque boxes and frame rails with basically no rust at all on any of it. My question is, Is it ok for me to remove the center reinforcement plate so I can get better access to clean it and clean under it? I have been hesitant to remove it as I don't want to damage any of the structure of my car as it is so solid and straight. If I remove it, would I need to put anything under the car to help support it or not while I have it off? Thanks for the help

Perfectly ok. The plate serves to reinforce the structural integrity of the vert while in motion given the lack of a roof. As long as the body is solid you can take it on and off as much as you want, just put it back on when you hit the road.

great. Thanks for the info. This is my first vert and wanted to be sure before I took it loose. I thought it would be fine, but wanted to verify before I just went and took it off.

It should be ok.. But just to be sure leave the doors closed while its up in the air.. doors help keep it from flexing.. Also do one side at a time if you can ( floors ) .. I had to replace torque boxes and inner frame rails on mine..it came from UTAH salty roads..

Edited by 1969vert