Sign in to follow this  
ramair351

rear trunk light?

the wire pigtail should be near the drivers side wheel hump in the trunk if you have one. mine did not so i added one. the on you're talking about should be for the licence plate light..

Edited by dennyb68

the wire pigtail should be near the drivers side wheel hump in the trunk if you have one. mine did not so i added one. the on you're talking about should be for the licence plate light..

+1 The connector for the trunk light on my 69 Coupe was over the rear top of the drivers side wheel house.

I have ran into this discussion in a previous post on the VMF. Here is my take on it, the 69 cars typically had the Convenience Group items prewired on the dash and taillight harnesses. If you buy a map light or a trunk light, it would plug right into the clock light harness or the taillight harness (respectively). Sometime in 1970, they made a separate Convenience Group harness from those factory harnesses and only came with cars that got that option. For example, my 70 taillight harness does not have a bullet connector for the trunk light. I also purchased a map light for my deluxe clock panel, and the connector of the map light doesn't fit on the clock harness. The clock harness has female/female connector and the map light has a male/female connector. I finally landed a rare Convenience Group harness off ebay and low and behold, it has a long wire that runs back to the trunk light, and it also has a male/female connector for the map light.

I believe it was a mixed bag of 70 owners claiming their trunk light connector was missing from their taillight harness. I am definitely one of them, and have multiple taillight harnesses in my basement that also lack this connector. I do have one that does have the connector though, although I haven't look at it close enough to see if it has the Convenience Group harness wrapped into the dash harness.

Here is a recent Convenience Group harness that sold on ebay, for picture reference. Notice the long wire connected to the trunk light, as well as the connector for the map light and clock. A couple items are repetitive, as the stock 70 dash harnesses had the clock harness connector as well as the headlight warning buzzer and underdash courtesy lights much like this harness has.

Just something I've ran into before. Definitely look for the green/yellow wire with a red female bullet connector around the top of the rear drivers side wheelhouse.

Yup, I stand corrected on the colors. I checked mine earlier. I think wil be easy to find the lead from the bullet connector to the lamp housing whether from Cougar or Mustang on eBay. While there picking up parts. The cheap, consider picking up power turn release from later model Fords. They bolt right on as well.

Edited by miketyler