Sign in to follow this  
mach1jim

questionable rod bolts

I have bought a rebuilt 351 afr heads all arp bolts until I got to the bottm end I found studs and rod bolts that have CAT on them not arp does any one know what these are and are they any good thanks :crying:

Jim

If the components are new with the rebuild I would not worry about them one bit. The "CAT" to me means Caterpillar. I have not seen that word as it relates to the automotive world other than "CATalytic converters". What does the engine supplier say? B

No, it's not Caterpilar or ARP. They are from this company:

www.catpep.com/

Their prices are lower than most and I've seen both good and bad quality stuff from them.

The geometry of the shaft rocker arms was horrible. I couldn't even install them. However, that was just as likely due to the enginering drawings they were provided. The 4 bolt main caps fit very nicely.

I don't know how they could screw up a bolt. I'm sure everything from CAT is made in China, but that doesn't mean it's no good. Chineese parts are only as good as the American importers quality control forces them to be.

I agree that it was very deceptive to use ARP on top and then use CAT on the rotating assembly. Had they been upfront and honest about it then you would have at least had the opportunity to say "No thanks" or "I'll pay the extra for ARP" or even "OK, no problem", but it appears they were intentionally hiding the cheaper parts inside.

Having said that, I still believe that just because it's made in China doesn't mean it's crap. No, it's not usually as good as most typical made in USA parts, but if it gets the job done for 1/2 the price is that really so bad? Was the overall price less than their typical competitor?

Edited by 69gmachine
ADDED "USUALLY"

When it comes to critical engine fastners, I'll pay the extra for ARP any day. After all, how much money are you gonna save if one of the cheap Chinese CAT rod bolts lets go?

Exactly. I would say if there is one place and one place only you should use ARPs, it's rod bolts. I have never even seen head bolt failures but rod and rotating failures are common.

If the engine is close to apart, I would swap in ARPs for peace of mind.