Sign in to follow this  
shaun071

"Backyard" Boss 302

Hi All, I'm looking into engine options for my 69 coupe. It has a 302W fitted at the moment and I can get a set of Australian 302 cleveland 2V heads for free. These heads are 58cc closed chamber with stock 351C 2V sized valves and 2V port sizes. I've had good results with these heads on 351C's previously. I know I'll need a boss style intake and exhaust manifolds, pistons and the heads need mods to the water jackets. Does anyone have info on what else needs to be done to make this work?? More importantly, is it worth the trouble? I know that aftermarket heads are available for the 302 but they aren't cheap here in Australia

Shaun

I'd personally would love to build a 302 clevor. Right now i just have to many 351C's on hand. Besides, even if I did build a cleavor, I dont have anything to drop it in at the moment.

I'm pushing my buddy down the street to convert his '65 Falcon with a 302 to a clevor.

I've got some information on building clevors. Due to the maximum file size permitted for PDF type documents on this forum, Therefore it is broken in to 3 files as part A, part B, Part C

You have to use Boss 302 length rods (same as a 289). Unless you have a really good reason to do what's commonly known as a street Boss, you'll get more bang for your buck with a 351W motor and some good aftermarket heads. Spend a few more bucks and put a stroker kit in that 351W. You can turn that 351W into something between 393ci to 427ci. 302ci engines with Boss style heads (even the smaller Australian 2v heads) don't do much until they get into the upper RPM range. And they lack much torque. That's why people used to disconnect the factory RPM rev limiters in Boss 302 cars back in the day.

Thanks for the info, guys. Here in Australia the most common Ford V8's are the 5.0 fitted to later Aussie Falcons and Clevelands. I am reluctant to go with a Cleveland as its a heavy engine being fitted to a relatively light car- handling is more important to me than straight line speed. The main reason I was looking at the Boss style motor was to have the something a little different to the 5.0 implants that are very common here.

Hey Shaun,

I'm not near you but am on the same side of Aus. I'm down near Newcastle. I have a Clevor on an engine stand in my shed. My Dad and I brought it ages ago to put in an XP but Dad got sick and sold the car. I told him to never sell the engine but we still have not found a car to put it in.

Mine has 2V heads with an original 69 Boss 302 intake. I have no idea about the internals though as I didn't build the engine.

Like you said, 351W's are not a common engine here in Aus. I have one in my F150 and it is pretty much pointless trying to find parts for it here in Aus as they just aren't around.

The 2V's you have been offered, how much work do they need? I'd seriously be looking at the costs involved in setting them up, along with the purchase of a Clevor intake compared to the cost of some AFR's or something else good you know will bolt straight onto your 302W and perform well.

Cheers

Hi Ash,

I've got one set on a 351 in my shed. These heads are basically stock apart from new 4V exhaust valves, hardened seats and bronze valve guides as I was running straight LPG in that particular car. The ports are untouched and on a mild straight LPG 351 ran 13.8 @ 102mph in street trim. A full reco including the changes outlined cost $600 about 8 years ago. I can't see the changes needed to make them fit on a windsor costing more than a couple of hundred dollars extra. I'm thinking along the same lines as you are as you can still find these heads for less than $100 if you look around or a complete 302C for $200-300.

If it comes down to costs, overall it probably wont cost you that much more to build a Clevor. Like you said, 302C stuff here is cheap. Give-aways if you find the right person, which you already have. And if it is different that you are after, then why not build a Clevor!

Have you ever shipped any parts over from the US before? I've had a few things sent over on their own via slow boat through the guy who imported my Mustangs. Small parts on their own are cheap to send. For example he charged me $40 to send a Blue Thunder FE intake over where USPS wanted $400 and something. It just takes a bit longer obviously. So if it is price putting you off buying here in Aus, have a shop around the US instead maybe. And lots of stores in the US offer free internal postage so it'll cost you nothing to get it to L.A. to the exporter.

I've shipped through usatoaus before on the slow boat and they were good with their freight charges. Might be worth the shop around in the states for heads etc. The other engine I was considering was the 5.0 from an AU Falcon. My daily is an AU series 3 XR8 ute and it goes well, in a car 400kg lighter it should be even better, just fit a carby and electronic distributor to make the conversion easier.

My last ute was a AU2 XLS 5.0 with a 5 speed. I made a pretty light weight timber tray on it and it too went well. One of these roller bottom ends in a Mustang would be a whole lot of fun.

You might be able to pick up a damaged AU from one of the Manheim or Pickles auctions in Brisbane. I would expect a decent one to sell for around $1000-$1500. Sell what you don't want from it and get some dollars back. Parts from these on their own always sell well, you'd be much better off trying to score a complete car.

My last ute was a AU2 XLS 5.0 with a 5 speed. I made a pretty light weight timber tray on it and it too went well. One of these roller bottom ends in a Mustang would be a whole lot of fun.

You might be able to pick up a damaged AU from one of the Manheim or Pickles auctions in Brisbane. I would expect a decent one to sell for around $1000-$1500. Sell what you don't want from it and get some dollars back. Parts from these on their own always sell well, you'd be much better off trying to score a complete car.

That was the way I was going to go. I'm currently wrecking out a s3 AU wagon that cost me $150..... Early 90's Fairlanes are cheap too, whole cars going on ebay for around $500-1000. Lots of cheap options to get the basic engine. Cheapest would be to fit my 351C, but the wife vetoed that one. I got "THE LOOK" and "remember, I have to drive it sometimes" and that was enough to frighten me out of the idea.

Thanks for the info, guys. Here in Australia the most common Ford V8's are the 5.0 fitted to later Aussie Falcons and Clevelands. I am reluctant to go with a Cleveland as its a heavy engine being fitted to a relatively light car- handling is more important to me than straight line speed. The main reason I was looking at the Boss style motor was to have the something a little different to the 5.0 implants that are very common here.

my 69 coupe has a 351 cleveland and does fine you just need the right suspension to handle it and subframe connectors