Sign in to follow this  
PxDnNinja

Flywheel on an automatic

So I recently drove my 1969 Mustang from Salt Lake City, UT to Paducah, KY and back. Well, most of the way back.

About 200 miles out of SLC, the engine lost all power and died, so I had it towed back. While out seeing what I could find out, a guy who lives in my apartment complex came by and he seemed to know quite a bit about engines and such (he has a classic car of his own). Sadly he was moving, but that day he listened to it once I fired it up and said it sounded like I shredded the flywheel. Here soon, I will be taking a look at that to verify, but I can't find any video's or such online about how to do this, especially with it being an automatic (not sure how the torque converter comes into play).

Does anyone here have advice, or know of a source for information I might have overlooked? Any information will be useful. Thanks.

Hello PxDnNinja,

First - a little info for you - -on a car with an automatic, the "flywheel"is actually called a "FLEX plate". They are similar but different. On a standard

shift vehicle the flywheel is solid and the clutch, pressure plate etc make the

connection to move the car. On an automatic - -the torque convertor

takes the place of the clutch assembly. I hope this makes a little sense.

I doubt the flex plate is the issue BUT it could be. Before doing much, I would first check the transmission fluid to be certain the level is UP on the stick or

the car will not move.

Now - - we need a little more info from you. I take it that the car will start BUt just not move. Is this correct? What do you hear or feel when you shift the car into drive or reverse? Try to describe that happens when you shift.

NEXT - - if you SAFELY jack the car up and put the front on jack stands,

you can look under the "inspection cover".

so where is this cover? - -if you follow the oil pan to the rear of the motor - -you will see another large cover attached to the back of the motor. ON the bottom of this shield is a cover .

So the isnpection cover I talk about is between the motor and trani.

Anyway - the inspection cover has 4 small bolts that hold it in place. There are 2 on the bottom and 2 up a little higher. The inspection cover is about 14" wide and thing metal. If you remove the cover - you will be able to see part of the flex plate. You MAY be able to see cracks in the flex plate - -BUT more likely the trouble is in the torque convertor or trani pump.

We need a little more info to be able to help more.

It may help to know what size motor you have such as a 6 cyl or a V-8 like a

289 or larger.

Hang in there and DO NOT just pull things apart till you are certain what the issue is.

Be well - -work SAFE - -Print dad

Print Dad: Thanks for all that info. I didn't know the flywheel was replaced by the FLEX plate. I had seen references to both, but with my limited knowledge I didn't realize how they related to each other.

I checked the fluids before my trip and they were all good, though to be fair I haven't rechecked it since the issue arrived.

Currently, when I start the vehicle, you can hear a really bad rattling from the transmission, almost as though something is lose in it. Currently I'm out of the state and just realized while I was out that this was a good place to get more info.

EDIT: Oh yeah, as for the motor size, it is a 351W. The previous owner replaced the original 289 with this motor, so it is not the original.

FrozenMonkey: I just might take you up on that offer once I get in town and look it over myself. Thanks for the offer on that :)

Edited by PxDnNinja

If you are unable to diagnose the problem yourself let me know. If you live in the SLC area I know a great group of guys that should be able to give you some hands on help.

Long time since I posted an update on this. Due to really cold weather this winter, I haven't been able to do anything with my mustang until now.

I lifted it on jackstands and took a look at the transmission, but honestly wasn't sure what I was looking for in regards to an inspection plate and whatnot. When it comes to mechanical knowledge, I'm pretty low grade at this point.

Any advice, or even better: photo or video, on what I should search for to further diagnose my problem would be fantastic.

FrozenMonkey: I would always love a professional, or at least someone who knows what they are doing, show me the ropes if your friends are interested.

That being said, if any of you are in the SLC area and want to help a rather new guy out, I would greatly appreciate that as well.

Head over to http://www.utahmusclecars.com sign up and make a post about your car. There are a couple guys with classic Fords on there and a lot of people with lots of wrenching experience. If you want a professional, the #1 shop in Utah IMO is Premier Performance in West Jordan. They do mostly late model pony cars but are great mechanics. A bit further away in Lehi is Lung Automotive. Both of those shops are used regularly by our club and the guys that run them are members.

Sorry I'm a bit far away to come up and help you out in person but hopefully you can get it diagnosed either locally or through the help of the folks here.