Sign in to follow this  
frankenstang

Passenger side mirror question.....HELP!!!!

I am in the process of putting everything back on the coupe now that it is back from paint. I ran into an issue with the passenger side sport mirror and I need some advise.

The holes were already there but when I got the car there were no mirrors on it. Last night I mounted the mirror but it seems like the holes were drilled too far away from the glass and now the mirror sits at an angle. It is driving me crazy. It looks like if I moved the holes a 1/4 of an inch towards the glass it would sit correctly. The only problem would be the new holes will meet the old holes and you will be able to see the old set of holes peeking out from under the base. Not a good thing.

I was wondering if the head has a tilt adjustment or any ideas.

Take a look at the picture and you will see what I mean.

Thanks so much!!!!

First of all, are you 100% sure the mirror is from a Mustang? Often they substitute a mirror from a Torino or Tbird and this exact thing happens. The bases on those mirrors are different than a Mustang.

If it is a Mustang, cut a piece of 1/4 inch thick steel about 1 inch wide and 10 inches long. Tap holes in it to match with the mirror. Then open up the holes you already have so the mirror will mount correct, and attach the mirror to the plate on the inside of the door panel. You can put a bit of epoxy to hold the plate in place if the mirror is ever removed. If you do not use a glue to hold it, the plate will drop to the inside of the door panel if the mirror is removed.

I used the plate method on mine, because my car did not come with racing mirrors.

No adjustment from the base to head? Not even a little? I am sure they are the original mirrors, car was an unmolested coupe. Old owner even had pictures.

Danno,

You couldn't see the old holes peeking out from under the base? Mine you will and it just came back from paint.

Think I should just leave it!

:scared: ok, I had the same issue with mine when I got it back from the paintworks. Here is the best I can tell that happened. they took the door off with the mirror on it and either layed it down and bent it in or used it as a hand hold to carry the door and the soft metal base bent inward.

I almost made a beveled pieces to correct it until I noticed the pass side looked right and I compared it.

So what I did was took a heat gun and heated the paint around the screw hole area and twisted the mounting surface of the base. Well, the bad news is even though i had heated the paint, it cracked and peeled off the soft metal base. The paint was at least a year old by that point and had plenty of time cure hard.

Not thrilled about it but will need to get it repainted at some point.

I understand what you are saying about the holes being too large for the gasket that goes under the mirror to cover. Another option that etel64 mentioned is to make the gasket under the mirror a wedge shape, so the long edge at the top is wider than the bottom edge. Or maybe run a bead of black silicon along the gasket at the top so it is a little wider, then let the silicon set up before installing.