Sign in to follow this  
Mountaineerfan

Weird banging. Driveshaft?

I noticed a strange vibration/banging going on under the car while driving last night. It's pretty rhythmic, which makes me think it's not a loose exhaust hanger. So I started looking at the driveshaft. Problem is, I'm not sure what to look for. So here are some pics, and I would like some feedback on whether or not you see anything out of the ordinary.

album.php?albumid=184&pictureid=1486

picture.php?albumid=184&pictureid=1486

picture.php?albumid=184&pictureid=1488

album.php?albumid=184&pictureid=1488

Thanks!

Edited by Mountaineerfan

Just in case, one time I was in my buddies car and we thought the same thing. Thought the drive shaft but when we stopped it was a loose wheel. He forgot to tighten or torque them and they worked loose. Probably not it but thought it might be worth throwing out there.

A bad u-joint would typically not be a banging as it would have pressure when under load. It would clunk when putting in gear or shifting from drive to rev, or vice versa. Put the rear on jack stands & twist the shaft by hand. If it is a u-joint you will know quickly. If the current have allot of miles it is cheap & easy insurance to just replace them, heck of a lot better than loosing one while driving, did this in a bronco in my youth & it was not glamours site.