Sign in to follow this  
bsunds

ignition/mysterious car symptoms

Okay so here it goes I first started having problems about 3 weeks ago, I went in my car and it wouldnt turn, no lights nothing. figured out that it was my starter relay which went bad. So I replaced that and it ran well for for the rest of the day. the very next day I started my car up and drove about 2 miles down the street and started to get these large car jerks and vibrations. So I pull over and try to turn off my ignition and the ignition wont turn it off so I had to stall it out. so then i waited say 20mins and just drove it home since it was late at night and there was not really any hope to fix it at night. when i got home however the ignition choose to do actually what its supposed to do and turn the engine off haha. so the next day was just a day of trying to figure out what was going on with my ignition and why is my car running so rough, I found that after fixing some wires in my dash behind my stereo fixed the ignition problem and randomly the car choose to run good again. but now 2 weeks later my car is back to running like shit and ignition is messing around once again. do i just need to take apart my dash and fix all the bad wires, or do you have any other ideas as to why this problem appears and then goes away for 2 weeks and comes back.

side note ignition was replaced about 5 months ago, car is a 302, 4barrel carb, 5 speed

i think this issue my be part of a smaller issue i seem to be having, when i installed my stereo 7months ago or so. I noticed that when the car was cold and still warming up the stereo would turn off and on randomly and would also turn off if i hit a small bump in the road, but after warming up it would only rarely do this but still do it every so often. I moved the stereos constant power wire from the cigerette lighter all the way to the positive side of the starter relay and that seemed to fix it, it still happened but on very rare occasions. but after the problem above started, the issue with the stereo has returned to turning off very easily.

Most defiantly fix the harness or you will end up with a chard wire harness if not a car. Back in the day there were issues with the connector to the ignition switch where teh wires would deteriorate over time. Not to mention after all of these years the ignition switch is likely worn and not helping the situation.

This link has lots of info, but everything is held together with screws. Take off all of the trim work to expose the actual screws holding the front panel on. I'm thinking if you get the dash pad off most of the wires can be accessed from above or below the dash though.

http://averagejoerestoration.com/how-to/mustang-monthly-how-to-guides/