Sign in to follow this  
Fordrevhead

69 versus 70 deluxe door panels

Other than the remote mirror mount being rectangular on the 69 and round on the 70 on the drivers door does anyone know of any other differences from the 69 deluxe (mach 1) door panels and the 70?

Are the door latches different? I see an extra hole in the inserts on the 70's.

I have a pretty decent pair of deluxe 69 donors for the trim and inserts AND a pair of new in the box $350 69 panels from Mustangs Unlimited. I am considering using these on the 70 although my plan was just the 70 black panels as introducing the wood grain doors means I have to do the dash to match... not that I dont like it just more parts and money.

69:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/images/1000/DPD3B.jpg

70:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/images/1000/DPD4B.jpg

Edited by Fordrevhead

I didnt realize the 69 had different shaped bezel than the 70. I would like to find a nice pair of black deluxe panels for my 70. I have a nice pair of red ones that I was going to dye but now am looking at all my options.

I didnt realize the 69 had different shaped bezel than the 70. I would like to find a nice pair of black deluxe panels for my 70. I have a nice pair of red ones that I was going to dye but now am looking at all my options.

This has come up before over on VMF. In years past they only sold one door panel and you had to cut out for the 69 remote mirror... this is what leads me to believe that they are otherwise identical:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/486776-mirror-bezel-question.html

I think the door cups (where you put your hand in) are different lengths.

Metal ones are available so don't buy plastic ones.

...there's a good thread on this as well:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/632683-1970-deluxe-door-panel-cups-flawed-mounting-design.html

What I cant tell from that is if I would be able to use the 70 cups on a 69 panel.

Seems like since I have the 69 panels NIB, have a set of 69 donor panels, have a 69 sport mirror and bezel, that I will be using all 69 stuff. But if the 70 cup is improved maybe I should use that.

My project thread hasnt been updated since last March. Have been building shelfs and storing parts. Started a large shelf for new or restored and painted parts in the basement. Been selling off parts to make room. Also switched gears to the 64.5 for a bit. Back to the 70 chassis soon!

FRH,

It looks like from the pics you provided it looks like the cut out for the inside door release is a larger opening. In the first pic you cant see it but in the second one you can see part of it & it looks like both pics are at the same angle.

FRH,

It looks like from the pics you provided it looks like the cut out for the inside door release is a larger opening. In the first pic you cant see it but in the second one you can see part of it & it looks like both pics are at the same angle.

I see that ... Yet the woodgrain inserts seem to be the same for 69 and 70. I also dont think the angle of the pic is the same. The top front edge appears different. Other sites show no difference in this area.

The door pull cups on the 69 were longer than the 70. Its not the opening near the door opening handle, but the pull portion behind it. They found that the cups were breaking in two so they shortened the pull cup on the 70 model. There are L shaped brackets that mount on the metal door that support the pull cups, and are unique to each year. You'd need both the brackets and the pull cups for the respective year door panel.

Also keep in mind there are two manufacturers of door panels out there. I bought the 70 Dashes Direct ones and the mirror hole was already cut. I'm not sure how they do the 69's, but I would think the opening would be different for the larger bezel. The Dashes Direct has the correct cardboard backing, but seems a bit harder than original panels. The other manufacturer has a softer touch to the panels, but does not have the correct backing (white foam IIRC).

While we are on the subject.....What about the number of attach clips on deluxe panels?

I just bought a set of Mustang Market panels (see my first impressions here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/650403-1970-deluxe-interior-door-panels-2.html ) and need to order the hardware kit. Are there 4 or 5 clips? Seems to me there were 5 but several kits only show 4 per door.

Can anyone confirm?

Found it in the Osborne manual. Funny though, if I am reading this right, all the other models with deluxe interiors got 4 door clips+1 unique clip but the 70 Mach 1 (D0ZB-63C) used 5 of the same type.

Edited by miketyler