Sign in to follow this  
JTG

Toe board flange reversed?

I've got a '69 Mach I and I just finished welding in the driver's side torque box and now I'm starting on the toe board.

I thought I remember seeing this posted somewhere but couldn't find it again. Is the outside flange for the new toe board bend the wrong way? The toe board I have from CJ has the flange bent down, not up. The toe board is marked for 64-70 so maybe some other models need it facing down.

The toe board lies flat on the torque box and frame rail, correct. It's been a few months since I cut the rusted one out but that's how I remember it, plus that's how the passenger side looks.

If this new part is incorrect what have you guys done? Cut the flange off and welded the edge in the corner or bent the flange around so it would face up?

JT

The picture below is the upper left corner of the new toe board.

toeboard.jpg

i'm going off memory, but if you look at the way that edge is on the factory piece, the flange doesn't exist at all. the metal is spot welded down to flat part of the torque box.

i don't believe that toe panel was designed for the 69/70 cars.

so basically look at how your car was from the factory and duplicate that. same holds true when replacing other sheet metal as well.

I do remember some issue with the main floor pan repops that the flange on the rocker side was turned down. Supposedly for verts? I think I had to straighten mine and had to bend it up. Doesnt apply here for the toe panel but worth mentioning. I think there is a thread about this somewhere....

My drivers short pan and toe boards were flanges down and I switched them both to up to match my 70 coupe from the factory. No clue why.

that's interesting. the toe pan (lower part of the firewall) didn't have any flange on the side where it sits on top of the torque box. if the flange had been down, the the toe panel would have been raised up above the torque box. there were a series of spot welds holding the main flat surface of the toe panel to the torque box.

i thought the reason for the flange on the repop part, was so it could be used for the earlier mustangs that didn't originally come with torque boxes (thus no flat surface to spot weld to except for a flange on the side).

here is a picture of my 69. it's original toe panel/firewall metal to the far right (except for the two inch section at the bottom. it's hard to see, but there is about a 0.1" gap on the far right where it stops short of the side wall. the flange on the far right is from the torque box. the floor pan is a different story.

they must have changed things in 70 to put a flange in that area on the firewall.

IMG_3392.jpg

That's what I did, cut the flange off. My friend thought it was ridiculous that they made one part to cover 7 years worth of Mustangs. He manages a body shop and has been working with oem parts for too long! He was a great help getting that part fitted in, the shape of the new panel below the steering column hole didn't match the car either but it's tacked in now and looks good. I need to finish welding it in and then start cutting out the passenger side.

Thanks for the input.

JT

... the shape of the new panel below the steering column hole didn't match the car either but it's tacked in now and looks good.

Mine didn't either... matching that particular spot up was probably the worst part of replacing the extension on that side. The passenger side was a piece of cake.

My question to this on why you replaced that part is, was it rusted out, or did you just want to see what the torque box looked like? I am learning alot here, so I have many questions.

Richard

These are pretty commonly rusted to dust. When I cut mine out, there was no sign of paint ever being applied to the torque box or the under side of the firewall extension/toe board.