Sign in to follow this  
1969 coupe

e7 heads on 302

First of all let me make this clear, I have little experience in all of this. I am taking an class at my local community college on engines. I am in need of a small project, the instructor recommended bringing a set of heads to work on.

I can get a set of E7 heads and the stock shorty headers for trade on an item I have $10 in. Will these be an upgrade over the stock heads (not sure which I have now) and manifolds, and will the heads and headers work? I have a stock 302 and do not plan on going crazy with it at this time. I have a limited budget and will probably need to go through my current heads and replace the broken manifold, so any thoughts?

Give us some more info on the 302 you have. If its an older one the e7 would be a upgrade for sure with the gt40s being a little better. They say the gt40p's would be better still but would require a different exhaust flange so I would stay away from those.

E7 heads are an upgrade from the heads offered back in 69 + 70. There has been alot of HP made with these heads (before the aftermarket had upgraded heads). $10.00 in heads, and manifolds to work on, and use, you can't go wrong. Good luck with the class.

Yes it will flow better than other stock heads *excepting gt-40P* from what I have read. Add a small cam, 4 bbl and intake and you have a nice little engine (not high HP) but a fun streetable motor I would guess in the neighborhood of 250 hp.(no deskdyno just a ballpark guess) For 10 bucks- you damn skippy I would do this. Shorty headers I don't have experience with so not sure there.

I just finished redoing the top end on my 408. If somebody in your class wants to build a stout 351 I could give them a killer deal. Alum heads, comp cam & lifters and Barry grant carb. Get a roller 351 and slap these on there with the right compression pistons and you'll make 350hp to play with. I'm in Greensboro and would love to pass this stuff on to a fellow stanger.

That's exactly what I would want, fun and streetable. 500hp would be fun, but I couldn't stand it costing me $80 in gas when I wanted to go for a ride.

Phils69, PM the details on what you have. The 302 I have now is an older one, not original to the car. I believe it is a D4 block if I remember correctly. It was rebuilt around 20 years ago and only had a couple of thousand miles on it before I parked it.